Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2014, 12:55   #1

what type of boat is this

looking to find out what type of boat this is to get info on rigging the sails the middle sail seems od to rig if the out side edge opposite side of the mast should be hooked up to a line to or should it be free any info would be helpful in the pic it don't seem to show it hooked but on the sail it shows some hooks to hook to something
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orient%20Star%20Bermuda%2030%20Ketch1.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	84129  
c0mf0rtably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 13:04   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: what type of boat is this

That is a typical ketch rig with a mainsail, mizzen sail and headsail. The main sail (I think that is what you are referring to as the "middle" sail) is a standard main sail like any other boat. I don't see any of the hooks on the sail you are referring to.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 13:09   #3

there not showing in the pic bit when me and my boss went to put the main sail up we noticed some hooks on the edge like maybe where a line should go though
Old 29-06-2014, 14:04   #4

Boat: Able 50

The boat is a 1960's era ketch but I doubt that will answer the question. Sails are not supposed to have hooks on them.

Got any close up pics ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 14:15   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

That mainsail has two reef points. Maybe the hooks were reefing hooks on the forward end of the boom? If that's what you noticed, you put the hook through the cringle then re-tighten the main halyard, then pull the rest of the reef in. It did not appear to me from the picture that the reefing lines were rove.

Ann
Old 29-06-2014, 14:55   #6

Boat: too many

Maybe a Cheoy Lee Bermuda?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 15:30   #7

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mf0rtably View Post
there not showing in the pic bit when me and my boss went to put the main sail up we noticed some hooks on the edge like maybe where a line should go though
you mean a leech line?

Used for tensioning the leech, to stop fluttering. Needed on some mainsails cut with a lot of roach. And for fine tuning, as the Dacron gets old and stretches.

So ... assuming that what you found are small hooks or cleats for a leech line, there's no big deal. If the sail has a leech line installed, you'll see a thin line - say 2 or 3 mm in diameter, running as a bolt rope in a pocket in the leech - that can be tensioned and then made to those hooks or cleats.

If the leech line is missing, leaving just the bare hooks or cleats, no worry. Leech lines are for fine tuning. They do things like stop fluttering that can, over time, weaken a sail. Quite important with canvas sails in the late 19th century, less important with Dacron sails in the 20th and 21st century.

One danger is over-tensioning leech lines. If over tensioned, the sail will have a "hooked leech" shape, an overly closed leech shape that increases drag and lowers lift. So if you are going to tension a leech line, the general rule is to use the MINIMUM tension to stop the sail fluttering. If the sail is not fluttering, no need to play the leech line.

An internet search for "leech line" should confirm whether what you saw was that. And perhaps tell you more about using a leech line.

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 15:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Yep, it's a 1965 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30. Here is another picture:

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 16:11   #9

ill have to take some pics it looks jest like them 2 boats has a wheel not a stick and ill take pics of the sail hooks so many drif types out there lol