Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 07:25   #1

Boat: 43 foot Doxy
What Standing Rigging Should I Use ???

Hi guys , have come to the rigging of my vessel and have just found that I can't make sense of the architects writing...he shall be nameless , and before anyone says '' why don't you ask him '', I'm not for 3 reasons . One ,the boat should have been in the water years ago. Two, He may well be dead ,and three he doesn't like to think everything is '' not clear '' on the plans .

Now heres where I give it all away . Its a xxx xxxxxx 43 foot Doxy junk and I have galvanised bottle screws as opposed to dead eyes ( an act of heresy ). However all I know is its 7x7 or 7x9 galvanised blu..blo...bla for the cable .

Perhaps stainless is best ? can I tar the galvanised cable / any recipes? Do I need to do it in a oner ie up over the mast and down , or can I use shackles at the top.
can anyone assist ???
Haventaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 09:01   #2

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: what standing rigging should I use ???

There are slushing compounds that you can use on standing rigging.
But stainless steel can and is used without slushing.
There are now synthetic fiber lines on the market now that is much lighter then any of the metal wire ropes used for standing rigging. And can be used to give your vessel that archaic look.
you can use rigger's guides to determine the size of all rigging on your vessel. But the prints should have given you the sizing of the rigging.
One dirty trick is to go to a boat that has the same mast sizes and sail areas and use those specs for determining your rigging. Or go up one size if in doubt.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 09:31   #3

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: what standing rigging should I use ???

I have a bit of experience with this and yes, Galvi wire is fine as long as you are willing to dress and inspect it each season. Pine tar (available in most tack shops) and turpentines is the mix for this but, as you might figure it will stain sails. I have been around workboats too much and Molly B reflects that with galvi fittings including painted galvi straps and a couple of galvi pipe stanchions. The swordfishing boat next to me has all galvi fittings. The owner is sloppy with the maintenance but for even for that there isn't much rust because everything has a ton of paint on it.
On the minus side: adds to maintenance and doesn't add any value to the boat. (Unless you know you wont be selling ever)Most any buyer will walk, seeing a rig replacement even if the wire is cared for properly. Also there is good Galvi and bad so you have to research producers.
On the plus side: Cheaper initial investment. Easier material to work with... particularly with DIY fittings. Will let you know before it lets go... not subject to cavity corrosion etc.(makes it a better material for Keel bolts if handled properly) debateably stronger for weight.
Galvi is a fine option if your budget is really tight and you want to get going but as funds allow switching over to stainless will make a lot of sense particularly after a season or two of dressing the wire.

This is just opinion of course and free advice is worth just what you pay for it.
Good luck... would love to get more info as you work with the galvi. Not a lot of folks doing it anymore
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging