Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 08:13   #1

What kind of mainsail attachment system do I need?

My story is I knew/know next to nothing when I recently bought my boat, am learning as I go, and while on passage my mainsail ripped in half and it is now salvageable and I need to replace it, with either a new or used one.

New sails seem to take a month to deliver which is difficult to do in regards to passage making so I am trying to get a used one to tide me over for a while.

When I read sail descriptions on used sail websites they aren't very comprehensible to me so I can't find what I need, besides I have a 46' Max luff and 17.5' max foot. Basically I am mostly have trouble with getting the right attachment system.

What I see I have is an "internal track". My sliders are 7/8ths. These sliders they attach to a plastic coupling, which attach the sliders to small grommets up the luff of the main sail. Picture is attached.

My question is what am I looking for when trying to get a used sail to ensure it is compatible? Is any sail description that says 7/8ths internal sliders OK for me? I am confused because even ones that mention sliders also mention a rope luff diameter.

Would a sail like this work for me?

http://www.secondwindsails.com/sails/2614.php

Thanks!
watanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 08:28   #2

Re: What kind of mainsail attachment system do I need?

If you go to Sailboatdata.com and put in what your boat is it will give you all the particulars for your boat.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:07   #3

It's a wierd custom boat
watanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 10:03   #4

I could not see anything useful in the photo (?) , but slides are usually sewn with strapping to the grommets in the sail, or attached with small shackles. If the sail you buy doesnt have the correct slides you can remove yours from the old sail and reattach them to the new one. It might mean buying some strapping, or shackles, but it should work. It will take a few hours of work. Maybe someone can post some photos of the different methods of attaching??? Good Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 10:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by watanaka View Post
What I see I have is an "internal track". My sliders are 7/8ths. These sliders they attach to a plastic coupling, which attach the sliders to small grommets up the luff of the main sail. Picture is attached.

My question is what am I looking for when trying to get a used sail to ensure it is compatible? Is any sail description that says 7/8ths internal sliders OK for me? I am confused because even ones that mention sliders also mention a rope luff diameter.

Would a sail like this work for me?

Used Sails from Second Wind Sails

Thanks!
I would say probably would work but I would call second wind sails and ask them about it. Describe your track and slides and have them confirm it matches the one for sale. Maybe even get them to send a picture.

Regarding the rope luff diameter, that shouldn't impact the fit of the slides in the track.

But worst case scenario, shouldn't cost that much to pay someone to swap out the slides or you can do it yourself. Isn't a complicated job, just a bit time consuming.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 11:48   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Can you post a picture of the attachment method of your old sail? I think there is a terminology issue more than a technical one.

Slides are still sized based on the size of the bolt rope they replace, and it is important to match groove size to slide size. But if you have an internal track, everything is different and the only thing that will fit is the slides that match that track.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, men, sail