Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 11:32   #1

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
What is a boom pennant?

On the forward face of my mizzen mast I have some tackle that appears on my schedule of running rigging (from the manufacturer) as "Boom pennant." It's a length of 3/8" rope attached by a snap shackle to a pad eye just below the radar dome - then it runs down to a single block with snap shackle - then, back up to a cheek block near the pad eye - and finally down to a cleat at about the height of the mizzen halyard winch.

I'm in the process of re-rigging the boat and have been using it as a topping lift for the main boom while I run a new main topping lift from the main mast. But … the main boom has a topping lift, so I'm at a loss as to what something with a 3:1 purchase at the rear of the cockpit is supposed to be used for. Anybody have any ideas? Anybody ever heard of/used one of these "boom pennants"? Thanks.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 18:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: What is a boom pennant?

My guess is it was the original topping lift and someone added a traditional topping lift later. Because a lift can chafe on the leech of the sail, but a boom pennant rigged like you describe would not. It might be a pain to always remember to clip it on when dousing the main. Which might be why a regular topping lift was fitted.
Old 04-08-2020, 18:37   #3

Boat: Columbia 8.7

On sloops, I have heard the term "pennant" used for a line from the backstay to the main clew used to keep the boom from swinging at anchor. It sounds like you were accidentally performing this function when you connected it in a similar fashion to replace your main topping lift. I hadn't heard of this practice using purchase and I don't know why you'd need it unless you were particular about boom swing.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 20:25   #4

Benz - thanks. That makes sense, but the schedule of running rigging that came with the boat (prepared by the manufacturer) lists both a topping lift on the main mast and the 'boom pennant' on the mizzen. So - they both came with the boat - the topping lift wasn't added later.

CFS - I guess that the 'boom pennant' could be used to keep the main boom from swinging back and forth - but the main sheet does a pretty good job of keeping it still. And like you say - why the purchase - the boom isn't that heavy. But that's a good notion. I'll go with it until I hear otherwise.

I've asked Hinckley - but many of the folks there now are contractors and those that aren't are more familiar with their power boat line. Very few are familiar with the old sail boats - and those folks are hard to find. Mystery continues!!
Old 04-08-2020, 20:45   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If I picture what you say correctly, perhaps it is part of the rigging for a mule sail?
Sailmakers - Dabbler Sails - Sail Lofts - Sails for small boats - Sail Makers

Is there a block at the mizzen head and the main head for a mule?

Of course that would not explain the "boom pennant" label.

edit, wait you have a yawl... probably not. As Emily Litella says, never mind.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:33   #6

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

A "boom pennant" or a "boom pendant"? Both probably the same thing. Or not.

I suggest you talk to a rigger familiar with the Hinckley B40.

You could for instance try The Rigging Co in Annapolis MD (https://theriggingco.com/ or 443-847-1004). I know they've built and reconditioned spars for one or more Hinckley B40.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

It's a little used term for a preventer.

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Story of a Strange Career, by Anonymous
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33631/33631.txt

"The main boom was out to starboard the full length of the sheet. A pennant--heavy rope--from the end of the boom was hooked to a tackle and fastened forward in order to prevent the boom from swinging back. I had been at the wheel about an hour, and was watching the compass carefully. Suddenly the light in the binnacle went out. Then I had neither stars nor compass to steer by. As we were going dead before the wind, I tried to keep the old schooner straight, but it was useless. In a few minutes she yawed to starboard, and the main-sail was taken aback. All the strain of that big sail was then on the boom pennant and tackle leading forward. Before anything could be done to relieve us from our dilemma there was a sharp snap forward. The belaying-pin which held the tackle had broken, the boom flew over to the other side, and the sheet tautened out like a bow-string. It took hardly a second for the sail to jibe over."
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:46   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

It's more likely the term is "boom pendant" because a "pennant" is a flag.

Webster defines "pendant" as "a length of line usually used as a connector on a boat or ship especially : a short rope hanging from a spar and having at its free end a block or spliced thimble."

A possible application of the term "boom pendant" is a short line from end of the boom to the backstay to hold the boom up when not in use. I had one on an older Ericson 25 many years ago. Larger boats without a topping lift use a boom crutch.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 17:03   #9

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi. I dont have anything like that on my mizzen mast but when I bought the boat there was a block & tackle clipped underneath my mainsail boom. I took it off because it interfered with my headroom - I am much taller than the previous owner.
20 years on, I can think of only 2 possibilities:
My mainsail does NOT have a traveller for the mainsheet, so the bottom end of that just clips into a central U bolt. This block & tackle was about the right size to clip onto the end of the main boom & out to a U bolt on the side deck so as to pull the mainsail a bit more up to weather (as there is no traveller) when close to wind. I've never felt the need to do that but it looked like it would work.
OR maybe just somewhere to keep a handy billy to clip on the end of the main boom to lift a MOB out of the water or some other heavy weight aboard?
I dont think it has anything to do with the mizzen sail or a mizzen staysail.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 17:06   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I do also have a useful short wire strop clipped to a small u bolt on the front of the mizzen mast which I use sometimes to clip onto the end of the main boom to restrict its movement when ashore for winter if all the sheets are off the boat for washing, but what you have doesnt sound like its for that.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 17:12   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

My guess is a dinghy hoist. The boom just holds it clear of the rails until it is clear, then it is swung or manhandled to the foredeck.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's a little used term for a preventer.

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Story of a Strange Career, by Anonymous
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33631/33631.txt

"The main boom was out to starboard the full length of the sheet. A pennant--heavy rope--from the end of the boom was hooked to a tackle and fastened forward in order to prevent the boom from swinging back. I had been at the wheel about an hour, and was watching the compass carefully. Suddenly the light in the binnacle went out. Then I had neither stars nor compass to steer by. As we were going dead before the wind, I tried to keep the old schooner straight, but it was useless. In a few minutes she yawed to starboard, and the main-sail was taken aback. All the strain of that big sail was then on the boom pennant and tackle leading forward. Before anything could be done to relieve us from our dilemma there was a sharp snap forward. The belaying-pin which held the tackle had broken, the boom flew over to the other side, and the sheet tautened out like a bow-string. It took hardly a second for the sail to jibe over."
I don't think being fixed to the mizzen would allow it to be gybe preventer led forward for the main.
Old 06-08-2020, 17:35   #13

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If it has a block and tackle it is a BOOM PENDANT.

Otherwise known as a Handy Billy, and used to hoist a dinghy, or anything heavy aboard from a lighter or other boat..
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 18:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
If it has a block and tackle it is a BOOM PENDANT.

Otherwise known as a Handy Billy, and used to hoist a dinghy, or anything heavy aboard from a lighter or other boat..
But it's fixed from the mizzen mast. Hardly a place from which to hoist anything aboard.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:07   #15

Thanks everyone. The schedule of running rigging provided by Hinckley lists the tackle as a "Boom Pennant", not "pendant." Perhaps that's just the 'down East' way of spelling 'pendant' - don't know.

I've talked with The Rigging Company in Annapolis - even had someone out to look at the rigging - who called the mizzen tackle the 'topping lift' - but there's already a topping lift (it's actually called a topping lift on the schedule of running rigging) for the main boom on the main mast. The main topping lift was also a mystery for a while - it consists of a line from the end of the main boom - up to a sheave at the top of the main mast - and then down to a becket on a single block that slides up and down on a 4' section of sail track (like the storm sail track, but on the right side of the main mast) the bottom of which is about 7' above the mast boot. Then, there is a line from a pad eye on the main mast at about the level of the gooseneck - up through the single block - and down to a 5" cleat on the main mast. Pull down on that second line to raise the boom.

I guess I'll use the tackle to hold up a bimini, or to keep the boom from swinging back and forth while not under sail - until someone tells me otherwise. Thanks again.