Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 07:28   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Using a Windlass to Haul Someone Up the Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
We used to use our Lofrans Tigres to take me up the mast frequently. I think the problem you experienced was caused by not going around the mast winch so it would turn freely. By running it that way, you use the resistance to control the descent. I weigh about 200#. Try again.
Good to know about the Tigres, as I'm installing that model shortly. Maybe I'll just put it mast steps at the spreader (for seeing coral ahead) and at the mast top (for standing purposes when I need to fix gear at the mast top).

I agree that there seems to be too much friction in this set up. My wife can lift me slowly using two blocks and a size 40 winch and just muscle power.

Not quickly, mind.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, windlass