Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 15:00   #1
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Using a Milwaukee 28v drill on a manual windlass

We just purchased a used 28v Milwaukee right angle drill to use on the main halyard winch to help raise the main. I'm sure I will have to purchase and install a windlass to keep my wife happy, and started thinking. I want to keep the boat light and simple, so why not purchase a manual vertical windlass and use the Milwaukee 28v drill to raise the anchor? We will run 100' of 1/4"HT chain and have a Manson 35lb. anchor, so not much of a load. This would save us the extra weight of the windlass motor, heavy duty wiring and the possible addition of an extra battery to handle the loads. It also keeps it a little more simple in my mind. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 15:35   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Using a Milwaukee 28v drill on a manual windlass

They don't work that way. There is no rotary motion drive point. If you insist on doing that way, just use a winch. Get one of those old non self tailing sheet winches and use your drill on that. I bet they would last just about forever even using some chain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 15:35   #3

An electric windlass will not add much difference in the calculus... assuming the rest weighs about the same it's just the motor.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 15:42   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
They don't work that way. There is no rotary motion drive point. If you insist on doing that way, just use a winch. Get one of those old non self tailing sheet winches and use your drill on that. I bet they would last just about forever even using some chain.
Huh…

Why won't it work?????

Manual Vertical 500H - Pleasure - The World Power In Anchoring Systems - Storm, Atlantic, Compact Winches
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 15:43   #5
smj

On our old Solaris catamaran we had a manual windlass that was operated with a standard winch handle. Hard to find a manual vertical windlass nowadays but Muir still makes one that can be operated with a winch handle. http://www.muir.com.au/pleasure/manu...tical-500.html
It's not only a weight savings but also trying to get away from a large draw on the batteries and to keep it simple. Just a thought I had that may work for people who didn't want to or had no way to install an electric windlass.

Old 02-11-2015, 15:44   #6
smj

You beat me to it!

Old 02-11-2015, 16:00   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While I love our Milwaukee, I think your application is over taxing its capabilities. One of the joys of having a powered windlass is the ability to cheerfully reanchor several times if the bottom is a difficult one, or positioning is critical. Our Milwaukee will haul me up the mast (~60 feet from the deck) two or three times on a charge, and that is somewhat equivalent to hoisting chain and anchor from a deeper anchorage. I suspect that the frictional losses in chain retrieval are a bit greater than in one's halyard system.

Further, the chances of a saltwater bath are pretty high on the foredeck if the boat is pitching much, to say nothing of rain... all in all an adverse environment for poor old Millie!

So, would it work at all? Sure it will! Would it be an equal replacement for a proper electric windlass? I don't think so...

Jim
Old 02-11-2015, 17:40   #8
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
While I love our Milwaukee, I think your application is over taxing its capabilities. One of the joys of having a powered windlass is the ability to cheerfully reanchor several times if the bottom is a difficult one, or positioning is critical. Our Milwaukee will haul me up the mast (~60 feet from the deck) two or three times on a charge, and that is somewhat equivalent to hoisting chain and anchor from a deeper anchorage. I suspect that the frictional losses in chain retrieval are a bit greater than in one's halyard system.

Further, the chances of a saltwater bath are pretty high on the foredeck if the boat is pitching much, to say nothing of rain... all in all an adverse environment for poor old Millie!

So, would it work at all? Sure it will! Would it be an equal replacement for a proper electric windlass? I don't think so...

Jim

Thanks Jim, some really good points. My wife tonight told me she doesn't mind raising the anchor by hand, I count my blessings! The sad thing is if you decide to use a windless, it makes the raising anchor by hand very difficult if not impossible. It can be raised but stowing the anchor rode becomes troublesome with the windless in the way. So many decisions.:-)

Old 02-11-2015, 18:02   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Arn't I a dumb ass. I was only thinking of the old SL 55 type.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 18:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Arn't I a dumb ass. I was only thinking of the old SL 55 type.
Off topic I know but I loved the SL 55 windlass
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-11-2015, 18:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Thanks Jim, some really good points. My wife tonight told me she doesn't mind raising the anchor by hand, I count my blessings! The sad thing is if you decide to use a windless, it makes the raising anchor by hand very difficult if not impossible. It can be raised but stowing the anchor rode becomes troublesome with the windless in the way. So many decisions.:-)

She might change her mind on the third re-anchoring attempt in the driving rain, rising wind, dark lee shore, rocks awash at zero dark thirty
but then again, she might not .
Old 02-11-2015, 18:55   #12
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
She might change her mind on the third re-anchoring attempt in the driving rain, rising wind, dark lee shore, rocks awash at zero dark thirty

After 25 years she's a trooper, though the attitude does come through occasionally! Seriously though, she's handled the anchoring duty thousands of times and I'm sure she will let me know which way the mop will flop!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:58   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
An electric windlass will not add much difference in the calculus... assuming the rest weighs about the same it's just the motor.
But probably a battery also.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You beat me to it!
I love these web sites...

"Get a quote".

How about you just state a price.

jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And I single hand. You can send her over to my boat though to raise my anchor for me.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual windlass, wind, windlass