Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 14:29   #121

Re: Unveiling the BB Soft Shackle

I do both. With a fender washer against the stopper, I attach the eye to a aluminum beam overhead in my cockpit. The suspend my meager 165 lbs by grasping the washer. Then I remove the washer & close the shackle around the center portion of a cleat. Then attach a line to a winch and to the shackle. Carefully placing the shackle so that the stopper is vertical, and the eye is horizontal against the cleat, I tighten the line that is pulling horizontally. I will slightly tension, then release and rotate the stopper 180°, tension again slightly more, release rotate 180°, then really crank down. Let it stay under tension for a few hours.
SaltyPaws1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 20:39   #122
Marine Service Provider

I've been making my softshackles with 1 extra step that I do not see anyone else doing on here. After burying and before tying the button knot, I milk the burying as much as I can, then I pull the burry sleeve through the buried end.

This makes a failsafe for accidentally pulling the buried end too much and losing the loop created on the other end.

Any reason why I don't see this?

Edit

Oo I see it now. Instead of putting after the burying, you put it before the bury.

I am going to try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_233756.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	248366  
Amsteelbluez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 14:37   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsteelbluez View Post
extra step
just a general-purpose comment on dyneema: it is usually best to minimize complications in dyneema constructions - the fewer 'steps', the less distortion of the weave, the less opportunity to have uneven legs/buries usually the better as dyneema is very sensitive to little unevennesses.

Often I have tried to add some extra step that I think is clever, and then do break testing and the strength has measurably gone down.

OFC if you are introducing an extra step in order to create a particular feature you highly value, then by all means, but realize it may well decrease strength by some amount.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 15:04   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
just a general-purpose comment on dyneema: it is usually best to minimize complications in dyneema constructions - the fewer 'steps', the less distortion of the weave, the less opportunity to have uneven legs/buries usually the better as dyneema is very sensitive to little unevennesses.

Often I have tried to add some extra step that I think is clever, and then do break testing and the strength has measurably gone down.

OFC if you are introducing an extra step in order to create a particular feature you highly value, then by all means, but realize it may well decrease strength by some amount.

A year ago I posted this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Three years down the track, this is an update on what I am doing:

- Lately, instead of a central bury I have been tending to simply pass one leg directly through the other so that it creates a lock if the eye is opened very widely. I am only using very short central buries (even shorter than in the last photo from June 2017) if I need a longer soft shackle. Doing either of these things means the legs are not left loose to flap around, as they are in Kohlhoff style soft shackles. I don’t know if this can cause the eye to loosen when not under load, but it certainly looks disconcerting and it does improve handling….
I now usually skip any central bury at all, instead adding another pass of one leg through the other if the shackle is very long.

I will post a photo during daylight hours tomorrow.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 05:38   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

This is my current method of constructing high strength soft shackles:

Short ones where the bury reaches or almost reaches to base of the eye are left Kohlhoff style.

For medium length ones I add a crossover about 20 line diameters away from the base of the eye, which stops the legs from flopping around individually while not under load (I find that disconcerting more than anything).

Extra long soft shackles have an additional crossing added as shown below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05566DED-CF94-4A3C-AAD4-0D3B44D10D45.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	248801  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote