Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 08:30   #76

Re: “Twisted” & “Reinforced Super Strength” Soft Shackles

Thanks Breaking Waves for all the testing and info and SeaWorthy Lass for the motivation to explore new options. Do the reinforced eyes make it possible to keep the eye open and give the ability to install one handed?

Benz, I think the shackle shown has two bury splices, not the method you are describing. I just “discovered” the same process of making a loop, and also a cord with an eye at each end. I use the later as a friction hitch for tree climbing, the numerous small diameter cords keep the cord flexible up to the eyes, unlike bury splices. I do an end to end bury splice of the small stuff, put some stitches in it, and then stitch the cover on the eyes together. The multiply strands are independent of the cover and are able to self balance when loaded.
Brocky II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:05   #77
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What I posted before was a version with outer braid. I’m thinking of doing them in single braid like in this picture. I do like the tapered dog bones from Tylaska.

Edit it’s just two tiny eye splices, locked and held together by a French whipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	265DEDC8-C61E-4E24-951F-E65B76F9434F.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	238648  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 12:03   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocky II View Post
Thanks Breaking Waves for all the testing and info and SeaWorthy Lass for the motivation to explore new options. Do the reinforced eyes make it possible to keep the eye open and give the ability to install one handed?
It is a little harder operating the reinforced eye single handed, but not a lot.

One advantage when opening the reinforced eye to insert the stopper is that it will stay open unless pushed closed or load is applied. This is beneficial if you want to get the stopper in as quickly as possible. eg When leaving the boat I raise our swim platform slightly and secure it with a 3 mm soft shackle while I hold the platform up with one hand. I try leaving the eye open so I don’t have to lift the platform for too long, but it always slides shut, delaying the process. I am now going to substitute this with a reinforced soft shackle to make this task easier.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 17:56   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
It is interesting stuff - I have been meaning to test whether the silicon actually measurably reduces sliding friction and increases the equality of leg tension (or if it is just marketing). I have not seen any data on it from other sources.

What do you do to join/terminate the two ends of the multiple passes? Way back when I tested quite a number of 'clever' options but in the end I just use a simple knot
The two ends are spliced into each other with a tapered bury. It's not hard to bunch the cover up at one end, pull enough slack out of the bunch to splice the ends in, and then milk it all back.
As for whether the silicone helps, I'm convinced it does, at least when milking a really tight cover back over.
We often even out the legs by putting them on the hydraulic ram before milking the cover shut and finishing it. That way we can check the precise length before going to the effort of finishing.
Old 17-05-2021, 18:02   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What I posted before was a version with outer braid. I’m thinking of doing them in single braid like in this picture. I do like the tapered dog bones from Tylaska.

Edit it’s just two tiny eye splices, locked and held together by a French whipping.
Yeah, that'll work. There's lots of ways to do things, and whichever you prefer to make will do the job.