Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 13:38   #1

Boat: Hunter 26, 26'
Torn Mast - Would a sleeve work?

So I'm relatively new to sailing and recently purchased a 1994 Hunter 26. It has a mast that is relatively easy to steep/unsteep yourself for transporting on a trailer and while attempting to raise it, I didn't realize that one of the rigging cables meant to keep it steady during this process wasn't attached and it fell off of the side of the boat, resulting in a pretty gnarly tear at the bottom of the mast. Would a sleeve repair work? Or is there a way to fashion a new bottom to the mast? Looking for any option besides full replacement atm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201111_172706.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	229483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201111_172904.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	229484  

Name:	20201111_172930.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	229485  
jkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 13:53   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Torn Mast - Would a sleeve work?

A sleeve could work, but the issue might be finding the correct profile that will work as a sleeve. Short (pardon the pun) of replacing it or cutting it shorter, cut off the damaged bit and get a pedestal made to return it to the correct length.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 13:53   #3

I think down there at the end you could:
- have someone straighten things out (if possible) and weld it back together. It's just in compression down there and not flexing/bending much, soft weld wont matter.
-or lose maybe 4" of height and just cut it off nicely. Some rigging work involved though.
-or get a short piece of mast extrusion , or aluminum 6061 plate from a rigger and bend/fit to match the oval riveting it on with structural epoxy between as an inner (or outer) sleeve.
-or rebuild that tabernacle taller to accommodate a cut off mast. It looks to me like this is a good option.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 20:31   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Hi Jkent,
Correct sailing terminology for putting a mast up is to “step” the mast, not “steep” it. Pardon me if I sound pedantic, but since you are learning a new skill set, its good to learn the proper terms.

Re the fix:
Having sleeved masts in the past, I would suggest you don’t bother in this case. Finding a ready-made sleeve just large enough to fit snugly around your mast profile is going to be difficult. It would be possible to fabricate a sleeve out of plate alloy if you had the right tools (a bending setup) or were willing to pay a professional to do it.

Its pretty mangled to attempt a fix with welding, and welding marine alloy is not as easy as welding steel.

I think the cheapest, easiest, option would be to cut off the broken bit of the mast and build the mast step a bit higher. You could do this in a home workshop with basic tools and metal working skills. Maybe not the most elegant, prettiest fix, but it would certainly be strong enough.

Good luck and be thankful that the mast didn’t hit something on the way down and get a kink in the middle. That means a new mast, so this was a relatively cheap mistake.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Hi Jkent,
Correct sailing terminology for putting a mast up is to “step” the mast, not “steep” it. Pardon me if I sound pedantic, but since you are learning a new skill set, its good to learn the proper terms.

Re the fix:
Having sleeved masts in the past, I would suggest you don’t bother in this case. Finding a ready-made sleeve just large enough to fit snugly around your mast profile is going to be difficult. It would be possible to fabricate a sleeve out of plate alloy if you had the right tools (a bending setup) or were willing to pay a professional to do it.

Its pretty mangled to attempt a fix with welding, and welding marine alloy is not as easy as welding steel.

I think the cheapest, easiest, option would be to cut off the broken bit of the mast and build the mast step a bit higher. You could do this in a home workshop with basic tools and metal working skills. Maybe not the most elegant, prettiest fix, but it would certainly be strong enough.

Good luck and be thankful that the mast didn’t hit something on the way down and get a kink in the middle. That means a new mast, so this was a relatively cheap mistake.
Folks on Project Atticus did this - built a spacer out of wood. One of their viewers owns and operates some sort of specialty metal fabrication shop and also sent a very nice aluminum machined fitting that would be very expensive go have made.

Worked fine for them.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:15   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Have it welded. Easiest solution, price should not be the end of the world.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:39   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hi JKent,

I had trouble with my gin pole and forestay turnbuckle earlier this season so I know the feeling of a less than graceful stepping.

On my boat there is an additional set of stays (besides upper and lower that always remain connected) used for stepping the mast to keep it from falling port or starboard. They are directly in line with the mast. The only annoyance is that to finish taking the mast out of the step I need to unpin them as they are rigged tight enough to guide the mast most of the way up and down. Maybe I will treat myself to some quick releases for these...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	250_turnbuckle_5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	229796  
Old 02-01-2021, 03:45   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Have it welded. Easiest solution, price should not be the end of the world.
I agree, welding aluminium isn't difficult, it just takes more care maintaining the correct temperature. And the welds never look as pretty as with steel but with a little care they're still stronger than the original alloy.

Phone around some small machine shops and find someone who can bring their TIG to the mast.

Tags
mast, sleeve, work