Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 06:12   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Time for new sails

I am getting ready to get new quotes for sails, but one factor will be the expected time to delivery.

Any ideas on how long the backlog and construction time is these days? Probably Rolly Tasker, Quantum, North etc
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 06:57   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Time for new sails

It can vary widely depending on their individual backlog, type of sail, options etc. Heading into spring it might be longer from here into early summer.

I would call each of them and simply ask what their expected turnaround time is. You could try writing a penalty for late delivery into the purchase agreement but doubt any of them would accept that.
Old 25-02-2018, 07:21   #3

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I am getting ready to get new quotes for sails, but one factor will be the expected time to delivery.

Any ideas on how long the backlog and construction time is these days? Probably Rolly Tasker, Quantum, North etc
Ask them.
Old 25-02-2018, 07:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Ask them.
Very helpful. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 25-02-2018, 08:52   #5

Quote:

from my experience with sailmakers so far, would indicate that they deliver about a month past the agreed upon date.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 09:00   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
from my experience with sailmakers so far, would indicate that they deliver about a month past the agreed upon date.
Isn't that just about like everything to do with boats?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 09:12   #7

Boat: Flicka 20

Depending on where you are you might give Andrew (he's the sail guy) a call at SLO Sail and Canvas in San Luis Obispo, CA. You can google their web site. I've visited their sail loft and they seem to be on top of it and were able get my repair work done in less than a week. Don't know about new sail times. Carl is the owner and a great guy to talk to, very helpful and knows all the latest trends in the sail industry.

CaptainJohn49

CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 09:29   #8

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Very helpful. Hadn't thought of that.
You currently have a suit of sails to pattern from. That should greatly reduce the time. Alas, you have waited to the start of the season so it may take more than you had hoped.

You will also have to determine the material.

You will want to fold, save and store onboard the current suit to use "in case".
Old 25-02-2018, 10:26   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Its the "off" season still here in Canada, so a great time to order new sails. Also, get a 20% bonus because of the exchange rate (assuming you have USD). Kingston Sail Loft is well known for their exceptional quality. My personal experience has been that their price is always lower than expected, and delivery quicker than promised.

https://kingstonsailloft.ca/the-loft-3/
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 10:39   #10

Boat: Oday 25

Just got a new jib. Used the local sailmaker, Z Sails. They measured the rig to make sure the specs were correct for MY boat. This jib replaces one that I bought only 5 years ago from a firm that makes their sails offshore. That sail was made for a Catalina and I have an Oday of the same sze. I was assured by the company that it would fit my boat, and it did, sort of. The lead for the sheets didn't come out within the range of my track. Had to add some hardware to cope with that. Also after only 5 years, the jib's shape is now gone and its useless for racing, although still usable for just sailing around. Anyway you get what you pay for. My local sailmaker gets all my business from now on, even if it costs much more. In the end, its worth it.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:56   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
You currently have a suit of sails to pattern from. That should greatly reduce the time.
Hardly a factor... any legitimate sailmaker will measure the boat carefully, discuss your personal usage factors, and then with the aid of computers, design your new sails from scratch. Your old sails will not enter into the design at all.

Jim
Old 25-02-2018, 18:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hardly a factor... any legitimate sailmaker will measure the boat carefully, discuss your personal usage factors, and then with the aid of computers, design your new sails from scratch. Your old sails will not enter into the design at all.

Jim
Yes, I doubt they would use an old sail. I do have the last cut sheet, so that will help I think.
Old 25-02-2018, 18:50   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yes, I doubt they would use an old sail. I do have the last cut sheet, so that will help I think.
Only if the new sail uses the exact same cloth and the old sail was without any flaw whatsoever. The stretch factors of different cloths influence how a sail is designed and cut! You may find it interesting to compare the old with whatever new sail you end up with.

IMO the most important factor is having a knowledgeable person do the measuring... and one who will listen to your description of how you wish to use the sail. I get pretty edgy when I go into a loft and the staff start telling me what I want, especially some of the big name outfits who largely are staffed with hard core racers.

At any rate, good luck with the new sail(s). Enjoy the improved performance...

Jim
Old 25-02-2018, 19:26   #14

Boat: Tartan 37

About six weeks, most all sails are made overseas, including the ones listed by the OP. No sailmaker, will want anything to with the old sails. Sails are built to the boat's measurements, whether you do it or they do. That and the service is the biggest difference with a local loft or ordering yourself. With the quote, they will provide the deliver time, they usually aren't off more than a week. I bought dozen of sails from the lofts listed, this time of year is 6 weeks and summer is 8. All good lofts, if racing go Quantum or North. If cruising the Rolly Tasker is excellent, very impressed with the the #2 jib and cruising chute I got from them.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 20:20   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

I've had sails made by Rolly Taskers , Hyde, UK and macks. I recently had a very good experience with Phil at Zoom sails https://www.zoomsails.com/

I think communication is very important when getting a sail made, Phil excelled in this area. He had the sail made and sent from Sri Lanka to the Seychelles (he's based in Langkawi) with in three weeks.

Happy with all aspects of dealing with Zoom and most importantly happy with the sail. I would use him again.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails