Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2024, 17:59   #1

Stemhead fitting inspection

Hello fellow Cruisers!

Im fixing up an old Duncanson 40 and I want the rig to be 100%.
All my chainplates are easily visible and over engineered and have very minimal failure points in my opinion shes built tough.
Im wanting to remove and inspect the stemhead fitting if that is the correct terminology and I'm wondering if anyone out there could help me understand how it is Designed/Mounted through the stem.
Am I right to assume in the image that the lower most piece of stainless is attached through the stem as drawn? and if I were to loosen and support the rig at the bow remove the forestay and hardware that it would be possible to undo all bolts and the stemhead fitting drop it down and out for inspection?
My concern is the age of the vessel and the fact that there is a possibility for crevice corrosion in this location.
P.S Ive removed forestays, supported rigs and replaced whole standing rigging components before on previous vessels so Im not a novice in this field im just wanting some opinions on the stemhead fitting only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	448416022_828998745828219_5192129952396698145_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	291211  
Dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 03:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Stemhead fitting inspection

I think the tricky thing will be reaching the nuts from the inside. If you can get a spanner on them while someone turns the bolt heads outside, it should come off just fine.
It would be nice to know what's under the wood....if a fastener is hidden under there, your life will get a lot harder.

Tags
head, inspection