Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 12:23   #1

Standing Rigging Costs

Went back to last year and didn't see any cost data I can use. Looking at a C-42 mkII in need of all new standing rigging. Has anyone had this done on a similar size boat in the last year or so? Particularly in Florida or nearby?
Thank you!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:29   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

I am replacing the standing rigging on my Privilege 39 catamaran.

I went to a professional rigger who said he could do it for $11,000 in Florida. Then I met the owner of a sister ship - identical Privilege 39 catamaran - and he replaced all the rigging for less than $3,000 by doing it himself.

I think I will replace the rigging myself and save the $8000.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48   #3

That's discouraging, isn't it!
Thinking it would take a couple guys a few hours plus dealing with the roller furling. Maybe 16 man hours at $85/hr? Or, roughly, another $1,500. So maybe $4500 to $5000...?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:50   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It's hard to justify paying someone else to do something that is not rocket science.

If you are sailing a yacht offshore, you need to know how to fix the rigging yourself anyway.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:44   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
That's discouraging, isn't it!
Thinking it would take a couple guys a few hours plus dealing with the roller furling. Maybe 16 man hours at $85/hr? Or, roughly, another $1,500. So maybe $4500 to $5000...?
Are you going to pull the mast or leave it in place? In place increases the manhour costs. Pulling the mast includes crane time costs. Personally, I think you are better to pull the mast, making it much easier to get a complete inspection.
Before you worry too much about the costs, why not get a quote from a local rigger? I had our standing rigging replaced for about usd$4,500 on our 44footer.
Old 14-07-2017, 11:24   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

A couple of years ago I replaced my standing rigging for a little over $2000 plus the crane time. I was in the yard for a number of things so The yard fees were spread over a number of projects. They charged me $400 round trip for taking the mast down. I also had to buy some saw horses to put the mast on which cost about $100. I measured the old shrouds myself and ordered them from Sailing Services in Miami and had them shipped to NC. I put them on the mast and had the mast stepped and did a preliminary set on the shrouds. After the boat was launched I had a rigger do the final set on the stays. I got it all done for about $3000 which I considered a bargain. I did not replace my chromed bronze turnbuckles so if you need new turnbuckles that would cost you some more. I did replace all the pins. Sailing Services has a nice web site where you can select the appropriate hardware for the cable terminals and any other parts you need. I placed my order on a Thursday and they said it would take a week plus shipping time. It actually arrived the next Tuesday morning. I always like it when a company does better than promised.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 11:42   #7

Thank you! Got what I need for a budget now. Funny the broker lists the boat as ready to go cruising with a 17 year old rig.....

Thanks again.
Old 14-07-2017, 11:56   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment. You need to factor in that while the rig is down, the tangs & such bear inspecting. And if you find enough things that you don't like, then you need to pull off everything. Spreaders, tang bolts, masthead fittings, et all. Then check them with dye penetrant, & a magnifier, etc.

Also, while the rig's down it's wise to add an extra run of wiring or two up to the masthead & spreaders. So that when you want to add anything up there down the road, you don't need to drop the mast again in order to run the wiring.

The same is true regarding adding an extra sheave box, & or a tang or nose for a spare inner forestay, should you choose to add one in the future.

Plus, if you run into any glitches, the time required can spiral upwards quite quickly. Such as if there are any issues with the furler, etc.

When it comes to figuring the fiscal talley, if you know what components you need, & how much wire, it's simple enough to go to the Rigging & Hardware website, & add up the cost of everything. That part's fairly simple.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 12:45   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

(...)

identical Privilege 39 catamaran - and he replaced all the rigging for less than $3,000 by doing it himself.

I find the 3000 figure very low.

I have replaced some rigging on our 26' boat (5 max 6mm wire, max 10 meters long, 9 pieces total) and it came close to 1000. And I only replaced the wire and some fittings. Prices of fatter wires and fittings go up exponentially. I think 3000 is a very low figure, possibly an underestimate.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 15:03   #10

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

I went to a professional rigger who said he could do it for $11,000 in Florida. Then I met the owner of a sister ship - identical Privilege 39 catamaran - and he replaced all the rigging for less than $3,000 by doing it himself.

Did you ever get this done? I would be curious about the particulars as I have '92 P39 and am sailing from Rio towards south & eastern Florida this fall to get the rigging done.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging