Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2022, 04:53   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
STA-LOK Swageless Terminals (Wire Rope Terminals)

Has anyone used / installed these with new rigging on their boat?

If so how did it go with the assembly.

I figure I'll have to go home to my shed etc where my vise is to do the job properly.

I'm thinking forestay and backstay first then go from there as I have two lowers and one upper for shrouds which would probably last many more years.

This to be done with rig on the boat and I'll secure the mast with halyard and an extra old halyard that I'll tie to the top when up there
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 04:58   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: STA-LOK Swageless Terminals (Wire Rope Terminals)

I have DIY rigged two boats (28' & 31') with STA-LOKs.
They are straightforward to use and the learning curve is not steep.
By the time you have done say 3 terminals, you just rinse and repeat.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 05:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I have DIY rigged two boats (28' & 31') with STA-LOKs.
They are straightforward to use and the learning curve is not steep.
By the time you have done say 3 terminals, you just rinse and repeat.
Thanks.

A friend of mine just did his and recommended them but he is always doing that sort of thing. He even sent me his parts list (for his Cape Dory 25 that he got for free)

Maybe like you say I can do a few to get the hang of it and if I have to redo them no big deal as it will still be much cheaper than having a rigger remove the mast, transport it, and install all new rigging
Old 23-10-2022, 06:05   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I like Hayn Hi-MOD fittings a little better and what we use on our boat.
Well made products, easy to assemble and reusable internal cones in the terminal fittings.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 06:30   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
I like Hayn Hi-MOD fittings a little better and what we use on our boat.
Well made products, easy to assemble and reusable internal cones in the terminal fittings.
+1 for Hayn fittings. I still have Norseman below with swages above but will be replacing the upper swages with Hayn fittings. For below I can buy the cones for Norseman again so I guess I’ll be reusing them once again.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 06:50   #6

I saw on article where Sta-Lok, Norseman, and Hi-MOD all were pretty equal with slight differences depending on which the buyer/user might like the best.

(with the added benefit of all being reusable in case you had to replace a wire/cable etc when a rigger wasn't available)

Or you could carry a couple spares if sailing long distance to remote areas....
Old 23-10-2022, 09:35   #7

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

+1 for hayan. I have had them on my ketch for years. I chose them because the notched internal cone appeared to make assembly foolproof. As a novice performing my first rigging I needed that reassurance. True to advertising, assembly was easy, as the wires fit into the slots guaranteeing a quality fit. My one observation of my assembly, is that on disassembly, that slotted cone becomes damaged. Probably because as a novice i way overtightened the fitting. The Stardock and noisemakers require more skill and care to get the wires to lay correctly.
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:08   #8

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I just rerigged my Bristol 35.5. Swaged upper and Sta Lok lower. They are easy to do. No vice needed. Cut with hacksaw. Angle grinder gets wire too hot and may change temper.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:16   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzej0nl1ne View Post
+1 for hayan. I have had them on my ketch for years. I chose them because the notched internal cone appeared to make assembly foolproof. As a novice performing my first rigging I needed that reassurance. True to advertising, assembly was easy, as the wires fit into the slots guaranteeing a quality fit. My one observation of my assembly, is that on disassembly, that slotted cone becomes damaged. Probably because as a novice i way overtightened the fitting. The Stardock and noisemakers require more skill and care to get the wires to lay correctly.
The cones are not reusable. Not sure what's meant by "damaged", but they deform by design.
One of the benefits of Stalok or the other brands is they are replaceable/repairable at sea, if you carry spare cones.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I just rerigged my Bristol 35.5. Swaged upper and Sta Lok lower. They are easy to do. No vice needed. Cut with hacksaw. Angle grinder gets wire too hot and may change temper.
Well I saw a video with the guy using the vice to hold the wire etc. which looked like a good way to do that part otherwise I'll have to do this in my apartment, a picnic bench in apartment yard or on the dock.

I have a shed (outbuilding with HVAC), vice, privacy etc. at home so I was thinking that would work better.

I'll plan to use a hacksaw though which is what I have

My home is on the Eastern Shore also. ESVA.

Just starting to plan for this project so will definitely checkout the other types of swageless terminals

Old 23-10-2022, 11:17   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi-MOD fittings are different:

Old 23-10-2022, 13:43   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've used Sta-Lok, Norseman, and Sea Rig diy swages. Hard to get parts for Norseman any more. Sta-Lok and Sea Rig both good products. We do use a vise for holding the fitting. We built a platform for the vice, and installed teak rails for it, so it could be upside down in the V of the v-berth, and put a cushion on top. They are hard to find a place for on a small boat, but useful for many jobs.

The first time we tried with the Sta-Loks was just after they had changed the cones, and we had the wrong ones for our fittings. Once that was solved, we had no more trouble with them.

Ann
Old 23-10-2022, 13:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We've used Sta-Lok, Norseman, and Sea Rig diy swages. Hard to get parts for Norseman any more. Sta-Lok and Sea Rig both good products. We do use a vise for holding the fitting. We built a platform for the vice, and installed teak rails for it, so it could be upside down in the V of the v-berth, and put a cushion on top. They are hard to find a place for on a small boat, but useful for many jobs.

The first time we tried with the Sta-Loks was just after they had changed the cones, and we had the wrong ones for our fittings. Once that was solved, we had no more trouble with them.

Ann
Tylaska started manufacturing and selling the Norseman cones so that was a relief

Old 23-10-2022, 13:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hi-MOD fittings are different:
I'll check out that video soon but when I was at the dock today I tried to find Sta-Lok fittings or something similar but didn't see any until I saw my own forestay which looks like it could be Sat-Lok or something similar.

My forestay is too short so that plus the age of the rigging is why I plan to do this unless I find another boat in the next couple months that is loaded because I also need new sails and an AIS transponder.

Wind vane steering would be nice also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399 (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	266255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400 (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	266256  

Old 23-10-2022, 16:13   #15

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I did my standing rigging a couple.of years ago using the Searig fittings from NZ. A fellow yachtie had some stalok fittings and side by side, dismantled, we couldn't see much difference.

Side by side the prices were planets apart.

Did the whole rerig at the dock with a couple of large spanners, a bench vice on a plank, a battery powered angle grinder, some electrical tape and an awful lot of climbing up and down the mast.

I'm taking the mast down to rerig the new boat, but the tools will remain the same.

Tags
rope