Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 02:37   #1

Soft hanks over furler foil?

I’m setting out on a cruise, don’t have a lot of time or cash. My Nicholson 32 has a roller-furling genoa but I’d like to carry a smaller jib for strong winds and as a general spare.

There are a ton of inexpensive jibs for sale second-hand in Sydney but not many are made for roller furling. Does anyone raise a jib on a roller-furler foil by dropping the Genoa and hanking on the jib with soft hanks going around the furler’s foil? It seems like a good expedient but I am a little concerned about damaging the foil.

Thanks in advance!
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 02:54   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Re: Soft hanks over furler foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
I’m setting out on a cruise, don’t have a lot of time or cash. My Nicholson 32 has a roller-furling genoa but I’d like to carry a smaller jib for strong winds and as a general spare.

There are a ton of inexpensive jibs for sale second-hand in Sydney but not many are made for roller furling. Does anyone raise a jib on a roller-furler foil by dropping the Genoa and hanking on the jib with soft hanks going around the furler’s foil? It seems like a good expedient but I am a little concerned about damaging the foil.

Thanks in advance!
Any jib you buy won't have soft hanks....why not look for one that has a bolt rope that you can use on yr furler?...if you can't find one, get a sailmaker to change the sail from brass hanks to bolt rope, probably not much more than having soft hanks fitted...then you're good to go
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 03:19   #3

We're doing the opposite. Furler to hanks - but it's pretty cheap from the local loft to get it done. Added bonus (as I understand it) as the sail gets older the centre of effort moves back. So slicing off the luff and helps to move the centre of effort back forward again.
N1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 13:55   #4

Yes thank you for the suggestion to have luff tape installed. This being Australia, though, that job will cost $35/meter, which men’s it roughly doubles the cost of a second-hand sail.

Has anybody tried soft hanks over a roller-fueling foil?
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 10:17   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
Yes thank you for the suggestion to have luff tape installed. This being Australia, though, that job will cost $35/meter, which men’s it roughly doubles the cost of a second-hand sail.

Has anybody tried soft hanks over a roller-fueling foil?

No, but the idea certainly exists: The Gale Sail | Easy Handling Storm Jib | ATN Sailing Equipment

I don't see why a competent sailmaker couldn't replicate this in any jib configuration you wished to fly.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 11:40   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are buying the sail for heavy weather/storm use would go with the soft hanks. Should be easy and inexpensive to modify the sail for soft hanks, basically cringles large enough for the hanks. Haul down the larger sail and bag or lash to the rail and hank on the smaller sail to the roller extrusion.

Trying to raise a sail on a furler in nasty conditions is something I fear. To get the tape to feed into the furler extrusion at the dock is a major struggle. Even with a feeder it involves many trips from the halyard at the mast to the stem to untangle the sail and unjam the luff tape. Have had some real issues with the luff tape hanging up in the extrusion. Also can be difficult to get the luff tape into and stay in the extrusion on the initial feed if you have to run back to the mast to haul on the halyard.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:37   #7

Boat: SS34

I think changing a headsail on a furler in any breeze is a bad idea. Might be best to modify your existing headsail with a padded luff so that it retains it's shape as its furled. Anything to keep you off the foredeck at sea.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:53   #8

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Off topic sorry. But Wesley I once had a Nicholson 32, the original one imported by Rudder Yachts who made them in Australia.
Is my old boat now yours?
I know she has had various names.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:57   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

wesley,

The big problem with dropping the genoa is corralling it when it comes down. If you're singlehanding, you have to get it to come down on the deck, and secure it there, then you'd be able to hoist your smaller sail. You could make soft shackles for the imagined new-to-you sail, to replace the hanks, and it might work without damaging the foil. The biggest problem you have to solve is the on deck sail stowage for the two sails. Another is, just how small is it that you want the other sail? Is it to be a storm jib? a 100%? How large is your genoa? 150%?

Since $$ is tight, maybe give it a go on this cruise, using the genoa rolled up as needed, and figure out what size sail makes the best compromise for your usage, and then, with that experience under your belt, consider what size used sail to replace it with. If possible, the padded luff, even if you have to pay to add it, will roll up nicer.

Ann
Old 16-06-2018, 18:48   #10

If its a storm jib that you want then: if you have a spare halyard and an independent strong point to tack it to, why not a strong jib with a wire luff and set it free. You will not win races to windward but I am assuming that your real interest is survival with some control.

Regards
mike
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:42   #11

MikeDofFreo ... hey, that was my suggestion ... I had one once, I think it was from the 70's though, but I don't know if you can find one in the used loft/sailboat stuff shops anymore. It was also good to pole out to win'ward on a deep reach with the genoa when it was beyond chute conditions ... helps the gene fly better too , when the boat roles.
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 17:08   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDofFreo View Post
If its a storm jib that you want then: if you have a spare halyard and an independent strong point to tack it to, why not a strong jib with a wire luff and set it free. You will not win races to windward but I am assuming that your real interest is survival with some control.

Regards
mike
Setting or striking a free flying sail under storm conditions is bloody hard to do, especially short handed. I'd not want to depend on such a system. A better solution is a removable Dyneema inner (Solent) stay and a hank on storm jib. Lots of discussions about means of doing this in the past here on CF, so a search is useful.

As others have said, simply removing a luff rope sail from a furler at sea is arduous and can lead to loss of sail, crew or at least temper... not a good practice at all.

Jim
Old 19-06-2018, 04:00   #13

When using a free flying , wire luff storm sail, I have always had it in stops so that hoisting is no problem. I also include a light line from the head which is made fast to the same point as the tack. Hoist the sail, pull on the sheet to break the stops and when dropping it pull rapidly on the line to the head.

I have never used it on a boat bigger than 55 feet but, bearing in mind that it is always a very small sail have never had any problems. Just make sure that the stops are strong enough not to break without sheet pressure.

The traditional stopping material was cotton but I have always used nylon thread because cotton can rot between deployments!
Regards
Mike
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:32   #14

Re-read what Jim Cate says about removing sails from luff grooves in a blow, then see if you can find the thread about the husband that was dragged overboard by a sail in the last 6 months. Dousing any type of free flying sail (roller sail out of its groove) can be damn dangerous work. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, oil