Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2021, 18:24   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27
Shroud tension

What is the correct tension for the shrouds on a 1984 Hunter 27, and how do I go about measuring. Should this be done on the hard on in the water, does it make a difference.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 18:54   #2

Re: Shroud tension

You can get a tension gauge, it should come with a chart of tension values. Usually, you want it to be around 10% of breaking strength for a particular size of cable.

That said, you set tension and rigging not to 10% of breaking strength per-se, but to proper mast geometry AND tension. That means that some will be slightly higher or lower in value as needed to create geometry optimized for your boat, rigging, sails, skills, handling preferences.

It can be done on the water or on land, but you need to be careful not to have significantly different tension on various sides. You want them to always be within a reasonable small difference of each other.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 22:11   #3

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

One method that helped us when we were new was to have a professional tune the rig and then take tension measurements as a guide. Tuning a rig is part art part science so finding the right rigger and tension for your boat may be a process but it has been a rewarding part of our experience.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:18   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Every Tom, Dick, and Mary will have an opinion on how to tune a rig, the vast majority are subjective and based on their own set of biases. The best method of objectively tuning your rig is to use a tension gage, such as a Loos gage. With this method you will obtain PRECISE tension measurements.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:45   #5

I just final adjust mine under sail, usually in a decent breeze going to weather. Adjust the lee side then tack and adjust the other.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:49   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

Tension gauges are handy but you can tune a rig without one.

Basically you want start with your uppers, using the main halyard measuring from side to side to get your mast head centred. Then tension your shrouds, keeping the mast in column.

They are tight enough, if when sailing up wind in a moderate breeze, the mast is straight,or the upper portion is falling off slightly, and your leewards shrouds are not excessively loose.

Good luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:56   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

For an explanation, read "Sail and Rig Tuning" by Ivar Dedekam.
The short of it is that the _starting_ point is 10%-20% breaking of the wire. There are several ways to measure that. But that is the starting point. To get it correct, you need to go sailing. The leeward shrouds should not go slack, and the mast should stay straight and not bow to leeward. There is an order to it, and it's different for different types of rigs, etc.
Old 29-04-2021, 10:10   #8

Boat: Oyster 435

I agree with the posters above. Everyone has an opinion and tune the rig to your boat instead of an arbitrary tension. It’s ok to do the initial adjustment on the hard but it really needs to be done with the boat in the water.

I think of rig tuning as a journey instead of a one time deal. Start the journey but going to every sailmaker and read what they say about rig tuning. They have a vested interest in getting it right. The first one that I came across was North - https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...-tune-your-rig
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud