Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 14:54   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
Servicing Selden Electric In-Mast Furling Gearbox

Selden recommends that the gearbox is removed from the mast and returned to them for servicing every 5 years. To my knowledge, our gearbox has never been serviced since new 17 years ago.

I am unable to return the gearbox to Selden as we are constantly cruising and turnaround times are 4+ weeks so I have ordered the service kit (seals and bearings) as described in advisory 595-410-E.

In preparation for taking the gearbox apart, has anybody done this service themselves and what does it involve? Is it a one or two person job?

There is the option of doing the horizontal service with the gearbox in the mast or the horizontal and vertical service that involves removing the gearbox. Is the horizontal service enough and any insight into which parts were worn would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Neziak
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 12:38   #2

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Servicing Selden Electric In-Mast Furling Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neziak View Post
Selden recommends that the gearbox is removed from the mast and returned to them for servicing every 5 years. To my knowledge, our gearbox has never been serviced since new 17 years ago.

I am unable to return the gearbox to Selden as we are constantly cruising and turnaround times are 4+ weeks so I have ordered the service kit (seals and bearings) as described in advisory 595-410-E.

In preparation for taking the gearbox apart, has anybody done this service themselves and what does it involve? Is it a one or two person job?

There is the option of doing the horizontal service with the gearbox in the mast or the horizontal and vertical service that involves removing the gearbox. Is the horizontal service enough and any insight into which parts were worn would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Neziak
Neziak, it seems nobody took the time to reply. What a shame. I have exactly the same issue. What have you decided to do?
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 05:30   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Several Hylas owners have discussed this on hylasyachts.org. Not .com

Search selden on the site.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 05:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I couldn’t find Selden’s advisory 595-410-E, but did find:
Manual for Furling mast Type ‘RA' - #595-059-E [2008]
https://support.seldenmast.com/files.../595-059-E.pdf

Are they substantially similar?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 14:25   #5

I was having trouble with my 2003 unit, I haven’t attempted the seal and servicing kit yet. It was working prior to going on the hard for the winter then was not working well when we restepped the mast this summer. The yard attempted to lube the unit and it worked ok for a couple of weeks before stopping. I could hear the motor turning but no rotation at the mast. Removed the cover and the motor and was amazed at how much surface corrosion was present. Cleaned the exterior of the motor and interior of the housing cover with a brush and bronze wool. The problem was identified easily after removing the cover, the drive belt had broken. Looks like a basic timing belt, mine was a PowerGrip HTD, 425 5M 15. I ordered 3 to have spares. The hardest part was removing the gear from the housing cover to replace the belt. Local yard let me use their shop and a tech for an hour to find the right gear puller to fit. Use caution to avoid damaging the housing when pulling it out. Once the belt was in place we were able to press the gear back in place without too much effort. The shaft from the drive gear inserts back into the main drive unit on the mast. At this point it helps to have someone on the other side use a winch handle to rotate slowly as you apply pressure to let the key enter the slot. Hope this helps
BillnMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, furling, gear, gearbox, mast