Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 13:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Self tailing winch for halyards at mast

I am considering putting a Barton marine wincher on my halyard winch. I am finding it hard to winch, tail and keep a hand for the boat all at the same time.

I'd also install a clutch above the winch.

Any experience with the Barton wincher that fits on existing winches?

https://farleyoutdoors.com/boating/s...hoCfMMQAvD_BwE
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:57   #2

Re: Self tailing winch for halyards at mast

If it's hard to winch on a 28 footer you better check out the sheaves at the top of your mast. It should be real easy. They are probably frozen. One thing I liked back when I cruised my 30 footer was how easy halyards were.. a couple big jerks and it's up, no winch etc. Then the winch to tighten the luff. Keep it simple, no stoppers needed. That's the beauty of a small boat. JMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 16:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If it's hard to winch on a 28 footer you better check out the sheaves at the top of your mast. It should be real easy. They are probably frozen. One thing I liked back when I cruised my 30 footer was how easy halyards were.. a couple big jerks and it's up, no winch etc. Then the winch to tighten the luff. Keep it simple, no stoppers needed. That's the beauty of a small boat. JMHO
Interesting point. I am planning to clean the track and lubricate it with dry teflon.

I have a couple of reasons to climb the mast this spring.
Old 11-03-2020, 16:55   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We used winchers on the halyard winches on our previous boat. they work OK for getting the last couple of feet and final tensioning, but not so well for hoisting the whole thing due to not really having a stripper to take the line off the top of the barrel.

So, if you can hand hoist it most of the way the wincher will help with the last bit. As posted above, that should be quite easy on such a small boat. Lubing the track will help, but renewing the sheaves or sheave bearings at the mast head will help more, most likely... and that's hard to do hanging from a halyard. Unstepping the mast may be in your future!

Jim
Old 11-03-2020, 19:17   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

A 27' boat here. Hoisting all the way up by hand. Minimum effort.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 20:06   #6

Boat: Tartan 28

Do you have a rigid boom vang? We dont on our 28 foot boat, the winch has to be used on the last couple of feet due to the leach of the sail lifting the boom up, it adds a bit of weight. Just something to consider.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 20:45   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Second the lack of a stripper so the line just starts to ball up. Mine used to be my job winches but I’ve since moved them to the cabin top for the last bit of halyard hoisting.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:00   #8

Interesting. This is pointing more and more towards a sheave issue. I have to climb the mast this season to replace the anchor light, so I might as well see what the issue at the top is.

Plus I'm going to replace the main halyard this season. Hopefully it doesn't get stuck but you never know.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:18   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you never have inspected the mast head, may want to consider dropping the mast to do the work. Much easier to do the work on the ground.

Done a decent amount of work up masts and its a lot of up/down to do just simple jobs. To do work on top of the mast head, you need to be able to get at least your shoulders above or equal to that height and have excellent tool skills (not drop things). It's better when younger, but it is still a challenge none the less.
Also if your boat is on the hard, check w/the yard if they allow you to go up the mast when the boat is blocked. Even if they do allow it, it's probably not the best idea to have that much weight aloft on a blocked boat.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:32   #10

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
Do you have a rigid boom vang? We dont on our 28 foot boat, the winch has to be used on the last couple of feet due to the leach of the sail lifting the boom up, it adds a bit of weight. Just something to consider.
A topping lift, if equipped, should provide the same “lift the boom” function that a rigid vang can provide. It can also provide other functions, including assisting in mainsail trim and holding the boom out of the way when docked/at anchor.
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:42   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
I am considering putting a Barton marine wincher on my halyard winch. I am finding it hard to winch, tail and keep a hand for the boat all at the same time.

I'd also install a clutch above the winch.

Any experience with the Barton wincher that fits on existing winches?

https://farleyoutdoors.com/boating/s...hoCfMMQAvD_BwE
You mention trying to complete three tasks at the same time; winch, tail, and steer so I assume you are sailing solo with a tiller. Reduce the number of tasks to a manageable two with an tiller-pilot which you can use for cruising as well.

It has been some time but I don't ever remember having a problem raising sails on my old San Juan 28 with a tiller-pilot that was perfect for that size boat; it even took me to Alaska solo. Previous to that I used a Tiller-Tamer on a Tanzer 22 on San Pablo Bay (CA) which worked as well.

That said, my ex was from South Haven so I've spent a fair amount of time there over many years; a very nice town with beautiful beaches, but I never sailed out of there. Enjoy your sailing on Lake Michigan.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:32   #12

Boat: CAL-2 30'

I would not waste the money and struggle to install them if I had it to do over. I installed winchers on both mast winches and the jib sheet winches. I later installed real self-tailing jib sheet winches and rarely utilize the winchers on the mast. As others have said, my main goes all but the last 6"-12" without using the winch at all.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 15:51   #13

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSails View Post
A topping lift, if equipped, should provide the same “lift the boom” function that a rigid vang can provide. It can also provide other functions, including assisting in mainsail trim and holding the boom out of the way when docked/at anchor.
Always taught to raise boom by topping lift so not to put the load on the sail when hoisting. Seems a waste of a resource not to use it, also makes you pay attention to topping lift tension. ease it out after hoisting, tension it up prior to dropping the sail
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 16:18   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
Always taught to raise boom by topping lift so not to put the load on the sail when hoisting. Seems a waste of a resource not to use it, also makes you pay attention to topping lift tension. ease it out after hoisting, tension it up prior to dropping the sail
Roger
But the loads generated by gravity whilst hoisting are completely trivial compared to the loads generated when sailing, especially when hard on the wind.

Taking the boom weight out with a lift will make hoisting easier, but IMO will not have any benefit to the sail.

Jim
Old 12-03-2020, 16:37   #15

Boat: Farr 1020

I was only referring to load on sail re the effort to hoist. As Jim says, boom weight is obviously not going to stress the sail. Other advantage of using the topping lift is to avoid damage to heads and coach roof etc as the boom starts to lift from a resting position.
I see many boats now with a short feather from clew today backstages, I do not count that as a topping lift. Mind you, I am one who always uses a boom crutch when moored does I need the topping lift to raise boom and allow me to remove the crutch.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, winch, halyard, self tailing