Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 11:08   #1

Boat: 1980 Hunter 37C
Send a message via Skype™ to Naviget
Seek advice adding 3rd halyard to 1980 Hunter 37C

Seek Advice 1980 Hunter 37C: Do I need to add another halyard?
Hello everyone. Please forgive this long-winded request. I’ve seen many great tips and help on the forum, but also seen confusion and tangents when enough details are not provided. Also, when asking more than one question at time, I have seen people only respond to one and ignore the others. Well, I’m happy to take whatever guidance you can provide.
First, a summary of the 3 questions:

#1: Do I need to install a 3rd halyard?
#2: Does my masthead already have a 3rd sheave?
#3: Is there any significant advantage to rope clutches over jam cleats for this halyard application?

My requests regard a 1980 Hunter 37 cutter, which currently has three halyards: main, staysail, and one for either jib or spinnaker, but not both. Halyard diameter is 11 mm. There are two winches, one on either side of the mast. The staysail halyard comes out partway between the top and the spreaders, just below the babystay. I am changing furlers from one with an internal halyard to one that needs one from the mast. Although I have had the mast down a few times, I can’t recall the sheave configuration at the top of the Kenyon 5280 mast. This mast uses an interchangeable luff track that captures all the wires in a channel completely separate from all halyards. I can’t recall if there are three sheaves at the top, or only two. With the new furler, I would be using all three halyards normally. I see two considerations for installing a additional halyard. If I needed to ascend to the top of the mast, I need one halyard for the main ascent and would need to take the jib off the furler to have a safety line. The other consideration is to have a way to use my asymmetric spinnaker without taking the jib off of the furler.

Question #1: can I get by with only two halyards going to the top of the mast, where one is dedicated to the jib furler, or should I have a third?

Question #2: Assuming a third halyard is wise, it seems like I have three options to resolve. A climb to the top of the mast would answer. However, since I’ll be paying a rigger to install the furler, I might save a few bucks if I know ahead of time and have all the hardware on hand.

Options:

a) a) There is an unused third sheave installed at the masthead
b)b) There is a space for a third sheave, but I’d need to have all the parts on hand
c) c) There are only two sheave locations, both populated, and I’d need to install an external halyard

IF a), easy. Make sure during the new furler installation to attach forestay to the inboard connection. I’d cut an exit above the winch, add a cover plate. With only one winch port side, I’d add 3 CL210 Clamcleats (maybe with CL804 tapered pads) above the winch and a cleat below the winch. Also, add something at the masthead to allow a spinnaker halyard to run fair around the forestay when deployed. I’ve heard of a “spinnaker crane” to which I believe a block can be attached, allowing the block freedom both in azimuth and elevation, and the halyard fair of the forestay. Don’t know the details here.

IF b), order the appropriate sheave from Rig Rite, and proceed as a) above.

IF c), again, use the inboard connection for the forestay during furler installation. Also add a crane and block at the masthead. Rig external halyard to the same clamcleat and final cleat. I am concerned about mast slap. I already have running backstays, and with them and shrouds, it’s a lot to run to the toerail.

Question #3: Should I use jam cleats or rope clutches for the three halyards that would be going to the port mast winch? I’ve had good experience with jam cleats for this application on other boats, but no experience in this application with rope clutches.

Thanks very much in advance,
Naviget
Naviget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, halyard, hunter