Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 00:43   #1

securing rigging/flexible furler while mast flat for trailering

I am preparing Catalina 27 Tallulah, currently on the hard, to be hauled by a pro on hydraulic trailer from NH to RI, (about a hundred miles)

We successfully lowered the mast using A-frame method, without kinking anything!

A next task is more-than-adequately securing the mast and all the spaghetti for the trip, and I would appreciate any tips to make the trucker's task both easy and easy-on-the-gear.

I don't doubt my ability to 'wing it' effectively, am prone to over-engineering in similar situations, but am traveling 2 hours to the boat for prep and like to visualize the project ahead of time.

Will be splashed on arrival in RI and motored to mooring, to await stepping of the mast (by crane this time) after a week or two.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and insight
leinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 01:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: securing rigging/flexible furler while mast flat for trailering

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, leinosaur.

You might neatly secure the halyards & rigging [stays] to the mast, with a little cling wrap.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 03:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: securing rigging/flexible furler while mast flat for trailering

Be prepared to unship the spreaders if the truck can't accommodate them: some trucks have a mast rack, others require that you stow the mast on top of the boat. I'd simply tie everything tight to the mast with periodic straps (sail ties, etc), making sure there's not long tails to flutter in the breeze.
If on top of the boat, you might make some saw horses/crutches to support the mast at as low a point as possible so as not to blow your clearance.

Tags
furler, mast, rigging, trailer