Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 21:20   #1

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
Searig Rigging Hardware?

I found another obscure maker of gear, well at least it looks like it. I can get Searig hardware at a much better price than Ronstan, and they ahve what look to be some nicely designed turnbuckles, etc. Has anyone used them or know of the pros and cons ?

They also have swageless fittings, but next to no information on how they work. If you think a Ggle will turn up lots of info, wrong !
Old 04-02-2009, 21:11   #2

Now I think that "Searig" may in fact be the old "Graham".

I discovered a vessel on the bay where we are moored that had searig turnbuckles. That is the first time I had seen one. There is so much in common with the graham turnbuckles (apart from being made in NZ), that it can't be all coincidence.

I snuck around the bay in the dinghy with verniers in hand measuring the rigging wire sizes and looking at rigs and turnbuckles. The water police did not arrive

Sue are a lot of interpretations on rig designs and what size wires to use on them for similar boats. I figured that our boat had heavier rigging than any other in the bay for its size.
Old 06-02-2009, 16:27   #3

Sea Rig is a subsdiary of KZMarine here in NZ who also do the well known Leisurefurl in boom reefing systems.

I have quite a bit of personal experience with the Sea Rig standing rigging system and wouldn't call it "obscure" as is quite widely used on custom boats - there being no production cruising sail boats built here is likely why it is not seen on the much cheaper run of the mill boats popped out of molds by the dozen .

It works well and is highly regarded - think it is quite a bit more expensive than simple turnbuckles, etc though but I see you say it is cheaper than Ronstan (am not familiar with the Ronstan system but if it of the same "quality" as other Ronstan stuff I see around then Sea Rig will be many astral planes higher in quality).

It is very "clean" and modern looking and was specified for our own boat when built (boat was a professional custom build for us). We haven't regretted it at all and I say that from the point of view of not being a person, as many are, that are blindly romantically attached to their own boat regarding everything about it as beyond criticism.

If you do use it, then after setting the rig up melt rigging grade Lanacote (the amber coloured grade) down into the threads with a heat gun (doesn't take much heat to get the Lanacote running) until you get the top crevice full to prevent grit collecting at the top of the threads as grit can cause later problems when adjusting them.

In case you haven't got it the web link is Yacht Fittings & Hardware : KZ Marine and there is a complete pdf catalogue on the site.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 18:33   #4

One of the reasons that it appears obscure is because the searig web site does not work beyond the intro and contacts. The brochure & products come up with the words: "coming soon" and on the page it says "last updated 2003". I have tried it several times over the last week, sent them 2 emails and no reply. So, you can see why we are a bit cautious about the brand.

Good to hear of your experiences with the gear. User feedback is worth much more than anything the manufacturer can generate.

By the way, can you recall your cricket team, they are ruining our teams reputation !

Rigging grade lanocoat - will have to search for that, we have used the Lanotec grease a lot (swear by it in fact).
Old 09-02-2009, 22:30   #5

I am not sure what is happening with the Sea Rig site but only about 5 weeks ago I downloaded their current catalogue from it. I also know of some of their rigging system components just bought recently for a boat so they must still be alive and kicking.

I have just got back into the marina after 4 weeks away on the boat - I will look into it over the next few days when I get home and let you know what I find.

EDIT: Haven't checked this out but for now try going in thru' this link http://www.kzmarine.co.nz/ it seems to get to the catalogue, etc.
Old 09-02-2009, 23:30   #6

Whoops, remembered the Lanocote thing.

It is a lanolin based product with fish oil and inhibitors in it and is widely used and available in most civilised countries of the world under the Lanocote brand. Its used for many things but including preventing electrolytic action between fasteners, etc, lubricating and preventing galling of threads, battery terminal protection, etc. I would be surprised if your local chandlery or rigging supplier did not have it. Is also used industrially so industrial suppliers may also have it.

It used to be distributed in Oz by Kempchen Gaskets but I don't know if they still do so now that they are part of the Klinger empire.

Comes in at least 2 styles that I know of - Boat Rigging Grade which is amber in colour and an industrial grade which is thicker and much darker in colour.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:33   #7

Well we spat the dummy and bought a box full of searig fittings, no going back now. Got our wire today from a place in Sydney at a great price. Now we just need to find someone to swage it as we progressively do each section of the rig.

The lanotec we used was a green colour and very thick. The Amber one you speak of is available as I have seen it before, somewhere, some time ago.

The 2008 catlogue is on the KZ website, now, thanks. They must have been having a technical challenge.

Thanks for the info !
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34   #8

Would be keen to hear how you get on with it.

The rigging screws are very tidy looking things and nothing needed along the lines of cotter pins, etc to lock them.

Also if one is able to use the tanged top swages one can do an entire standing rig with the only clevis pins being the ones through the chainplates and through the backstay bridle plates (should the backstay be bridled).
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13   #9

I asked around the riggers to gauge opinions about rigging brands and turnbuckles. Ronstan was the most favorite, but also the only brand some use. Searig was used by a couple as an option and reccomended by one. Now some of this favoritism can be due to reseller discounting that gives the riggers a good cut. Ronstan is dearer in every end type that I got priced. The objection that riggers mentioned to the searig is the adjustment mechanism, they did not like the grubb screw and one said that the threads inside were more prone to seizing.

With that info in hand, we then looked at what became the deciding factor. The strength of the turnbuckles. The searig TB's in 1/2" unf threads and pins for 8mm wire came in at 6900kg BS, the wire at 5650kg and the ronstan TB's in the same size at 5430kg (less than the wire). Not sure where the failure points were, it would be good to know that. From looking at the the ronstan unit mentioned it looked stronger with thicker & longer bronze threads, the only thing we could figure wasthe point where the top adjusting nut was fastened to the SS body.

So, we figured that so long as we maintain the searig units well with lots of lanotec/lanocote then we have a Tb stronger than the wire and that is the way it should be !

The Searig information available is certainly thin compard to ronstan, but we got enough from the distributor to make our decision. We saved $620 on the hardware alone using the searig as opposed to the ronstan.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48   #10

Hi all, I read with interest your posts regards our Rigging hardware and apologise for the lack of content on the website. Actually we cannot understand that this site exists, its our original from some years back that some how still works. Appreciate the heads up on that, thanks. As the manufacturer we would be pleased to advise what we can, should you have further requests for information. SeaRig is the rigging system, there are some great stories and a history list that ends with the Ericsson Racing Team, winners of this years Volvo Ocean Race.
RickHackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:55   #11

Boat: Lotus 10.6
recall

I see in the latest boating NZ mag there is a recall on Sea Rig riigging screws manufactured or sold after 2005.
Old 27-08-2009, 14:12   #12

Oh you have to be kidding ?

The whole rigging drama we thought had been put to bed.

Rick Hackett - can you PM or elaborate on this ?

Is it just the lower part or is it the whole thing, including the swaged terminal ???

Any chance of a photo of the notice in the Boating NZ mag ?

Cheers

Mick
Old 27-08-2009, 21:38   #13

I have sent an email to the rigger who replaced our rigging in 2006. Will let you know the outcome.
There is nothing on the KZ webpage relating to the recall. The latest Boating NZ mag lists the website address but tells people to see their rigger.

Old 27-08-2009, 21:47   #14

click on this photo and you can read the article. It is quite small. Couldnt find anything about it on the net!

http://
Old 27-08-2009, 22:39   #15

Thanks for the tip off, it is a great example of the value of forums like this.

I contacted KZ marine, they in turn contacted the Aust distributor who rang me and the lower part of the rigging screws will be replaced. It did not affect the swaged terminal. Phew !!!

Tags
hardware, rigging