Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 13:00   #61
Marine Service Provider

Re: Sailrite kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
It's a puzzle to me that more pro lofts that have invested in this technology and have talented designers on staff do not produce kits. It seems to me an opportunity to expand their business.
It would be easy enough to do if someone asked. The issue for me is I couldn't spend a lot of time on the phone or email coaching someone through the process unless they wanted to pay for consulting. For someone who is knowledgeable enough that they just need the panels, it could work out.

Sailrite has been doing it for years and while their kits aren't cheap they do an incredible job of supporting their products and providing advice. I think it's great that they're out there as an option.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 13:07   #62
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Last are the Professional Sailmakers. They have no vested interest in this type of project. Thats fair enough as well............
Everyone I know in the business has customers who have brought in partially completed sails for completion. Like building boats, a lot of people bite off more than they can chew. Starting small and simple is highly recommended.

I like it when a customer has some experience building sails. We just did a set of sails for a 42'er in Mexico and the owner had built sails for a previous boat. I consider him a friend now as we had a lot of interaction on the project and he had far more appreciation for some of the finer touches than someone who had no experience making a sail.
Old 25-02-2013, 13:32   #63

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Nice to know............ Thanks
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:04   #64

Beginning to think that it is possible for a dedicated DIY to build sails on par with the average professional loft.............

[IMG]
Old 27-02-2013, 14:47   #65

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Beginning to think that it is possible for a dedicated DIY to build sails on par with the average professional loft........
Now you're just bored and asking for a fight!
Old 27-02-2013, 14:52   #66

No not really.............

But you gotta admit they are nice sails.

Cheers!!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:45   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

All finished

More photos of the sail in action to followClick image for larger version

Name:	P1090168.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	55979
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37   #68

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Nornabiron, or anyone that has done the sailrite kit, can you give your experience level and then how much realistic estimated time was involved in making each sail.

Thanks,

Jon
Jon Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Nornabiron, or anyone that has done the sailrite kit, can you give your experience level and then how much realistic estimated time was involved in making each sail.

Thanks,

Jon
Ours wasn't a Sailrite kit. We ordered a designed and cut mainsail from an Italian company. Unfortunately it arrived with some parts missing which we eventually ordered from the UK to complete the sail.

Andy had helped friends make self designed and cut junk rig sails previously and had spent a couple of years doing sail repairs for a flotilla company before we decided to have a go and making our own main. It took about 2 weeks of full days to assemble the sail.

The sail was fitted yesterday and we tested it on a quick trip down the bay, we're very happy with it so far! Photos are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	209
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	56030   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	261
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	56031  

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	56032  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43   #70

Boat: Mac 26X

Very nice!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16   #71
Marine Service Provider

We've used our own design of batten tensioner made from webbing. We previously had plastic tensioners but they needed replacing every three years due to UV degradation. The tensioners are a work in progress and need some adjustment before they'll be perfect!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:55   #72
Marine Service Provider

Norna,

What was the designers rationale for 6 battens on your sail? When we're designing a sail, sometimes slide placement and where the customer wants the reefs to end up will influence the number of battens. I'm just curious why your designer went with 6 on that particular sail. I'm not judging, just curious.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26   #73
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
Norna,

What was the designers rationale for 6 battens on your sail? When we're designing a sail, sometimes slide placement and where the customer wants the reefs to end up will influence the number of battens. I'm just curious why your designer went with 6 on that particular sail. I'm not judging, just curious.
To be honest I am not sure. When I ordered the main sail to be designed by Banks Sails, Italy, I told them that our old main had six battens and they suggested the new one should have five. It arrived with six batten markings, no plan, no batten pockets or luff and leach tape. This may have been a courier problem but Banks Sails were not at all helpful about replacing the missing parts. I eventually ordered the missing parts from Kayospruce in the UK. Next year I will be replacing our yankee and staysail, needless to say I will be ordering it from a different supplier in the UK.

The ordering of the sail was far more problematic than the assembly, despite spending several weeks researching our supplier.
Old 03-03-2013, 14:33   #74

Norna,

The sail looks fantastic!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 20:58   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
To be honest I am not sure. When I ordered the main sail to be designed by Banks Sails, Italy,
I got my start with a Banks loft in Florida. I don't know any of the guys in Europe though. I agree with their recommendation to reduce the number of battens but I guess something must have got lost in communication.

Next time you do something like this, you may want to ask the supplier for a detailed drawing. It's part of our process with our customers and is very effective at preventing any misunderstandings. For mainsails, the key points are typically batten configuration, reef locations, and slide spacing. We'll also spell out what we see as the advantages and disadvantages of the design.

I've attached a sample drawing of a main for a Stevens 47. The sail came out exactly as expected, right down to the leech just kissing the backstay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jamie_Main.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	56122  

Tags
sailrite