Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 23:23   #1

Running backstays - remove and replace?

Any suggestion how to remove runners and replace with something more permanent? Converting to more cruising than racing.

Single spreader today. Straight ones.
Adding jump stay?
Adding spreaders?
Addand move stay?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 00:17   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Running backstays - remove and replace?

A full description of the rig is necessary prior to even beginning to make educated guesses on handling this query. Pics would help to, as would a description, & spec's on the vessel.
Then there's the question: Why are you trying to get rid of them? Rarely are they a big issue to deal with. Well, unless you don't have a permanent backstay that is.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Any suggestion how to remove runners and replace with something more permanent? Converting to more cruising than racing.

Adding jump stay?
Adding spreaders?
Addand move stay?
It depends on the rig, but my initial advice is don't. A more complicated answer may involve any combination of the following: new chainplates, new spreaders, a fixed backstay, a new mainsails, a new mast.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:32   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If the runners are wire, you might want to change them out for synthetic line--less chafe on the sail. If the boat was a race boat and the runners were used for draft control, the mast section is pretty bendy to use unsupported. If you are in heavy weather, you will sleep better with the runners on.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 17:15   #5

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I am a cruiser and just added running backs. I used Amsteel; light, easy to splice, strong as my shrouds. Let's me use the stays'l with no worries.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 18:47   #6

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I am a cruiser and just added running backs. I used Amsteel; light, easy to splice, strong as my shrouds. Let's me use the stays'l with no worries.
Hi KP44. Do the runners now "sing" when on gight. I replaced my wire runners with spectra and have to use them loose sort of!
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40   #7

Boat: Outremer 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post

Adding jump stay?
Adding spreaders?
Addand move stay?

Don't know your boat but on the assumption that it is between a 3/4 and 7/8ths rig, then this can work really well and make life a lot better. I've done it on an old Nicholson 3/4 tonner and an International One Design (sort of like an old 6 meter) wooden boat with a very flexy spruce spar. In both cases it transformed an unreliable rig (which was basically as reliable as the family member's memory whose job it was to deal with the runners) into a tuneable, consistent spar which was much safer.

Basically add a diamond spreader at the forestay attachment with its wires or dyneema attaching at the masthead and the spreader root at the bottom. The masthead backstay then has overall control of the mast. You adjust the bend in the upper half with a bridle between the wires above your new spreader which has a light downhaul to deck level. Your only real problem is deciding on the heft of the new spreader you make up, and the length of its arms and the angle at which they spread. Unless you are a maths genius, do the usual thing which is to do it by eye and add a bit for safety. I actually made a wooden model of the rig for my first attempt which was instructive.

I also did the same for an F27 tri which had a very bendy spar unsupported at the top. Again, a nervous and bendy spar became reliable and easy to deal with.

In rig terms this is usually a cheap modification and although risks come with any modification, the removal of all sorts of other risks is rarely counted in. With runners, these other risks can be substantial.
You may have guessed I don't like runners.......
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstays, running backstays