Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 21:49   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Roller furler keeps wrapping around forestay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I sent the OP a pm and he replied including the important fact that HE was the one who put the second forestay on the boat. There already was a forestay inside the furling gear.

I recommended that he immediately TELL all of you this important fact.

His silence speaks volumes.
Ummm... yes. That was kinda important info he neglected to include.

How on earth was that not considered relevant? I'm having horrible flashbacks to my IT Helpdesk days... the things people "forgot" to mention when describing their problem were, frankly, astonishing.
Old 02-08-2019, 22:51   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, with the second forestay more accessible for tensioning, wanna bet that it is carrying most of the load, leaving the poor furler kinda limp?

Having raced a Cat-22 many years ago, I know that the rig is very simple, 'cause even newbie I could get it tuned fairly well. Why people think, as newbies, that they can "improve" rigs and such, better than the designer did, well, it is a boggler to me!

Jim
Old 02-08-2019, 23:26   #48

Roller furler keeps wrapping around forestay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Having raced a Cat-22 many years ago, I know that the rig is very simple, 'cause even newbie I could get it tuned fairly well. Why people think, as newbies, that they can "improve" rigs and such, better than the designer did, well, it is a boggler to me!

Kinda odd isn’t it. Mind you, I do love my twin forestay setup, I like the security of having a backup if the furler chews up its own stay (yes, on a well maintained boat this should never happen). And having had a forestay failure once already (crevice corrosion of course) I never ever want one again. That was a seriously pucker-up couple of minutes.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:46   #49

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Not sure, but, you may need this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/zzgGf51YpkJ8WuMaA

Mounted at the top to make sure you have enough distance between halyard and top swivel.

On Selden furlers that is the solution to prevent wrapping up halyard and furlers.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:07   #50

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Yea, your forestay needs to be inside the furler. PO didn't want to take the forestay down and install correctly. Definitely lubricate the swivel at the top before reinstalling. The furler will stay on forestay and the halyard will slide the sail up and down.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 18:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
Yea, your forestay needs to be inside the furler. PO didn't want to take the forestay down and install correctly. Definitely lubricate the swivel at the top before reinstalling. The furler will stay on forestay and the halyard will slide the sail up and down.
Ummm... you might want to read the rest of the thread. There was some information missing that was a bit relevant.
Old 06-08-2019, 18:56   #52

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ummm... you might want to read the rest of the thread. There was some information missing that was a bit relevant.
Still, I don't think I am wrong. As I understand it the owner installed another forestay inside of the furler. Am I wrong? Ummm.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 21:08   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
Still, I don't think I am wrong. As I understand it the owner installed another forestay inside of the furler. Am I wrong? Ummm.
In fairness, I am not CERTAIN, but it sounds like the original furler was setup correctly with a stay inside it and the OP added the other stay IN FRONT of the furler because they didn't trust the furler stay. I could be wrong, I have precedents in being spectacularly wrong.

I actually sympathise, furlers scared the crap out of me because of all the horror stories I'd heard about them chewing through stays. Then I ended up buying a boat setup a bit like the OP's, with a spare stay in front of the furler. Didn't even notice that fact at the time I bought the boat, which has to be some kind of a message.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:35   #54

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

That's a CDI. Not the most expensive, but it is, in my opinion, the best you can get for a Catalina 22. Once it's working right, you will love it!

Normally the forestay is inside the plastic foil on a CDI. The wire is inserted through the black top cap, down through the foil, and reconnected to the turnbuckle.

It is sometimes necessary to replace the forestay to install the CDI. You need an end on the wire that fits through the hole in the cap and foil. Wire is not expensive, if you have a reasonable rigger with a swaging machine. Or, you can use Norseman or similar end fittings, and make your own forestay.

The foil should spin freely on the forestay, with no connection at the top. The halyard is in the foil, and connects to the shackle on of the CDI drum.

There are two connection points on top of the drum. One is to tie off the halyard, and the other is downhaul for the sail luff.

Once you have it rigged right, pull the sail up with the halyard, then set the tension with the down haul on the drum. Three or four turns of line through the ring on the sail, and the shackle on the drum gives a "block and tackle" effect, so you can cinch the sail down pretty tight.

Furlers can be tricky. the CDI is the simplest furler I know of. I have had them on two different boats. (along with half a dozen other kinds of furlers on bigger boats). They worked very well. I often sail with the sail partly furled, and it works well. Better if the sail has foam in the luff.

Fair
Winds
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:55   #55

Boat: Catalina 22, Ovni 39

22 sailor here. CDI Flexible furler. Sold by Catalina Direct. A lot of 22s have them. They can give expert advice. Rope inside is halyard to raise sail. Furler is the headstay. Good Luck. Join the Catalina 22 National Association. They have a technical guide for the boat that will help you on everything
tombeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27   #56

Boat: cal29

Hi Pete,
I had this same issue when I installed the roller furler on my Cal29. The cause of this is that there was too much halyard exposed between the head on the sail and the block where the halyard goes into the mast. There are two fixes for this.
There is a block designed to be mounted on the mast that the halyard goes
through before being attached to the sail. This block is mounted about 12 to 24 inches below the block at the top. The distance depends on how much halyard is exposed. The purpose of this block is to hold the halyard away from the headstay so it will not wrap as you are experiencing. Installation of this block involves either lowering the mast or climbing it to mount it.
The other option, and this is how I solved the problem, since I had no desire to climb the mast or lower it, was to extend the distance between the foot of the sail and where it attached to the deck. This raises the sail up the forestay which then reduces the amount of halyard between the sail head and block. Much easier thatn option one and have had no problem since.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48   #57

Boat: Catalina 22, Ovni 39

Catalina direct (.com) currently sells ullman sails for the 22, but if you search flexible furler they have a complete system and repair parts for sale. I do not think you need any, but they would know how to fix the issue you have.You should contact them and get the info you need. Much of what is posted here has not applied, because your furler is very different than what the other sailors have. The 22 owners on the Chesapeake that had the CDI FF liked it, and it seemed to work well on the 22. I do not remember any on them having a second headstay (the furler is your headstay) .
tombeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:50   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
In fairness, I am not CERTAIN, but it sounds like the original furler was setup correctly with a stay inside it and the OP added the other stay IN FRONT of the furler because they didn't trust the furler stay. I could be wrong, I have precedents in being spectacularly wrong.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm the one who pm'ed the OP. GILow is right.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:57   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 321, 33 feet

There was a time that jib furlers did not incorporate the head stay they were handy but wouldn’t sail closer than 70 degrees
That is what this rig looks like and the age of the boat backs that up
To incorporate the head stay the drum needs to above the turnbuckle
You probably need a new furler system and have the jib recut
bimini blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:56   #60
Marine Service Provider

Had a similar issue with my furler wrapping at the top. The local rig shop sold me a halyard restrainer which is attached to the mast just below the shiv . It’s all good now.
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler