Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 19:37   #1

Boat: Custom Crowther 61ft Cat (1993)
Roller furler halyard

My current genoa roller furler halyard is rather traditional. Full length onto dedicated mast winch. Optional toothed jammer. Mostly it lives on it’s winch.

Suggestion from rigger is to change to raw dyneema, mast height length only, with eye each end. Attach thinner line as needed for hoisting / lowering.
Remainder of time, halyard is on 6x block for tension. No winch. No cleats / jammer / clutch.

I like the idea. No tail. Raw dyneema appeals. Frees up a winch.

Comments? Flaws in plan?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 00:19   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Roller furler halyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
My current genoa roller furler halyard is rather traditional. Full length onto dedicated mast winch. Optional toothed jammer. Mostly it lives on itís winch.

Suggestion from rigger is to change to raw dyneema, mast height length only, with eye each end. Attach thinner line as needed for hoisting / lowering.
Remainder of time, halyard is on 6x block for tension. No winch. No cleats / jammer / clutch.

I like the idea. No tail. Raw dyneema appeals. Frees up a winch.

Comments? Flaws in plan?

Great idea.

You do have to set up the 6x block and tackle, which if you have eyes at the bottom of the mast wonít be so hard. That will run along the lower section of your mast, probably not higher than your boom. You may be able to use a cam cleat on the purchase to lock off the end of the purchase line.

Do you need the winch for something else on the mast, or do you want to remove it?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 00:47   #3

Boat: Custom Crowther 61ft Cat (1993)

Optional toothed jammer.
"Clam Cleat"
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:17   #4

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross

We have a 2-part halyard so when the sail is up and on the furler, the halyard goes through a spinlock jammer on the mast under the exit slot, then through the mast base turning block back to the cockpit with sufficient length to wrap around a cabin top winch to make tension adjustments. The halyard tail is removed and stored in a cockpit locker and is only needed to lower the sail. Certainly declutters and removes a lot of rope from the cockpit halyard bags. I figure if something happens and we need to lower the sail quickly I can always let it run through and re mouse later on.

The part of the halyard that takes the load is raw dyneema with a cover where it goes through the jammer and back to the cockpit winch. The tail is 8mm double braid polyester, but with a small dyneema tail & loop to join into the loop of the other part.

No downside that I can see as you never handle the exposed dyneema core - maybe need to watch the UV exposure for that part that is exposed from the top swivel and the halyard entry point.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:37   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

There’s a lot to be said for commonality among components which essentially serve the same purpose. Unique components require a full set of unique spares which are applicable nowhere else.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, halyard, roller furler