Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 12:46   #31

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Roller furler for 45'+ boat

+1 to never assembling aluminum components without loctite, tefgel, superlube, antiseize, isolation or similar.

The solution and precipitation heat treated aluminum alloys heated above 115 deg C will undergo undesirable microstructural changes.

Any heating above 250 deg C will remove any T4 and above properties.

The use of temp markers or crayons is needed to avoid overheating. Although a propane heater is reasonable choice.

I wouldn't be letting anyone throw a propane torch on my furler. Of course any furler with significantly corroded components wont come apart unless heated.

Where possible localized freezing is a better option. Aluminum has good cryogenic properties and the properties wont be affected by cold temperatures. This is how i dissamble non ferrous aerospace and motorsport components

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 12:53   #32

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Reef-Rite available in the US through Alfred Poor at Reef-Rite Headsail Furlers and Accessories

Yes, Jim: between the Kiwi slides, the downloader and locking pawl, these furlers are far beyond the common mix. Plus the bearings are available almost everywhere.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 13:34   #33

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Hello friends,
I'm going to be re rigging in the next couple of months and I'm starting to get everything I need before I pull my mast to reduce downtime. I have a 47' cutter sailboat with hank on headsails. I would like to get a furler for the forsail. I have looked for threads regarding this but most are either old or for smaller boats. I'm looking for advice from other that have bigger boats and have experience with furler and/or what brands have stepped up in the years.

I have looked at harken, profurl, and seldon/furlex to see what they offer. I figured a recent thread for this for bigger boats was needed, hopefully others down the line can use it as well.

Regards,
Ronnie

See more @ redemptiverepair.com

I managed Ontario Boat Builders at one time and we sold many Aldo Furlers from Brazil. Used for cruising or racing and considered the best deal around. Alado Nautica USA Reefing and Roller Furling Systems Home Page [SIZE=color=]!Alado Nautica USA Reefing and Roller Furling Systems Home Page[/SIZE]
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 13:40   #34

I have the original Harken on my Irwin43 which is 48ft O/A.
Built in 1987 makes it nearly 30yrs old and still going strong. Only lubrication it gets is RAINWATER>
Old 31-01-2016, 08:07   #35

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I recommend Schaefer Marine furlers. I have them installed on both my headstay and staysail. The service from Schaefer is OUTSTANDING. The bearings in my original, 1998, units became seized from mud wasps in 2014. Schaefer had changed the case design and the newer ones had better flushing caspability. Schaefer replaced both bearing cases at cost. To me that's incredible customer support.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 17:48   #36

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

Hmmm... Schaaaaa... Furrrrrr.....
Me likes mine on the one boat too Hudson...
Although... I'd have to say I'd be slightly anxious on a 50' install...
Why do you say that about the Schafer?

SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 17:50   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchurtic View Post
Durability is the reason why swans, Baltic yachts and similar serious builders go with Reckmann. I had mine, an RS 2000 in a 47 foot yacht , 13tons, for 16 years without the slightest problem. Check it out. There is a US rep.
I contacted Euro Marine Trading and Nance marine about the Reckmann RS2000 furler today so hopefully I get something back this week.

What was the US rep you were talking about?

Old 31-01-2016, 17:56   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
We have two Reef-Rite furlers on our solent rig. They are bomb proof, will not unfurl unless pin is pulled and Kiwi-slides are something else. Don't know why other manufacturers don't use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ahh, yes, Kiwi slides! I forgot to mention those in my earlier post. For those not familiar with them, instead of having the typical 5 or 6 mm luff rope on the jib, and then sliding that up the groove on the furler foil, the Kiwi slides are short low friction polymer rods that are sewn to the luff of the sail, spaced about the same as hanks would be. These rods then are inserted in the luff groove and hold the sail in place. The advantages are: much lower friction, so hoisting and lowering the sail are easier, and when lowered, the sail is still attached to the foil (again like hanks) so that a short handed crew is not so likely to loose the sail overboard. At least some models of the Reef Rite are arranged so that the entry slot for the slides is high enough up the foil that the old sail can be lowered and still be attached and a new one fed in above it. This means that one can practically change from a large genoa to a small storm sail, even at sea under harsh conditions... and yes, we actually have done so a few times on our previous boat.

We too wonder why this isn't a common feature!

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Reef-Rite available in the US through Alfred Poor at Reef-Rite Headsail Furlers and Accessories

Yes, Jim: between the Kiwi slides, the downloader and locking pawl, these furlers are far beyond the common mix. Plus the bearings are available almost everywhere.
I looked into the Reef Rite furler but I'm offshore at work so I can't divulge into websites very fast and thorough so I only briefly looked.

Mr. Alfred, speaking of which, sent me a tweet on our twitter page saying he heard I was looking at furler on here Haha! Kinda cool, because I was trying to find the US dealer website.

Old 31-01-2016, 17:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We've got a Schaffer furler.....I'm very pleased with it, it's stoutly built and turns freely. However they're seldom mentioned in these threads.....for the life of me I can't figure out why!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
I have two Schaffer furlers, genoa and staysail and never an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
I recommend Schaefer Marine furlers. I have them installed on both my headstay and staysail. The service from Schaefer is OUTSTANDING. The bearings in my original, 1998, units became seized from mud wasps in 2014. Schaefer had changed the case design and the newer ones had better flushing caspability. Schaefer replaced both bearing cases at cost. To me that's incredible customer support.
I feel like this is an inside joke I'm not getting.. How come people don't talk about Schaffer furlers as much?

Are they just more expensive so aren't mentioned as much?

Old 31-01-2016, 18:02   #40

So I sent some emails out regarding info and pricing on these furlers so hopefully I'll get something back soon.

I don't need the absolute best so I'm holding the Harken MKIV as a the most common, popular, best praised so it's going to be what everything is compared to price and performance wise.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:25   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I expect that maintenance is going to be required to keep any of these working well. I like the old Schaeffer rig that I have maintained for over thirty years and refit with new bearings at times. I'll keep what I have, but if I was starting fresh, I would have the ProFurl and expect to spend sometime time taking care of it. All of my stuff would end up in the dumpster if I wasn't on task!
As more and more people have spoken well of their Schaeffer roller furling system, I should clarify that mine is the "old" Schaeffer rig. By old I referring to the type that is not a furling around the headstay, but one that stands alone and separate.

Many suggest that this system is not acceptable due to the inability to achieve the best leading edge and I'm not promoting it as a suitable answer for this thread question. It's great for me because I can hank on an added sail like someone with a Solent Rig and I can drop it while it's furled. I'm poking about as a coastal gunkholer and this choice is great for me and my non-performance ketch.

Although I introduced the Schaeffer to the list, I have no experience with the "new" Schaeffer systems.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:20   #42

Well I looked up Schaefer units and it looks like I'm at the upper cusp of their largest furler, the 3100. It's max is 65' stay, 7/16" or 12mm diameter wire, displacement of 30,000(which is what I am), and a LOA of 45'..

I sent them a email to see if they still recommend it for my boat. We'll see, but right now, I think they are out.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:09   #43

Schaefer got back to me, the 3100 is good to use for your boat. So that's good, I'll look more into them as well.

From the email:
"Our 3100 furler works on wire up to 12.7mm and the provided system length is 64’ 7.5”.* The 3100 furler will work fine for you.

The maximum pin size for the stem head is 7/8”."

Old 19-03-2016, 17:22   #44

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

We junked our Pro-furl after it would no longer tolerate a rebuild. First rebuild was in NZ in 2001. [It was installed new in 1990.] At the time I spent some time at Reef Rite and it is Quality Gear, well thought out and universally available parts. I did a review of all available furlers at the time and my choice would have been SpinTec -no longer available, Reef Rite and a rebuild. We opted for a rebuild.

In the intervening years, companies have closed, monetary fluctuations, etc, I again reviewed options available. I discovered the Alado built in Brazil. [they have distributors in US and NZ] Worked with them and got a great shipping deal to South East Asia and could beat Reef Rite. So much so I did the stay sail too. Not long term use and major crossing - just yet, but has worked flawlessly for coastal cruising here in Thailand and Malaysia. Especially like the "no-bearings" but "bushings" approach. Also additional tension load on the stay. Tension loads are on the sail and foil. A quick google will get you the details.

Not associated - just a happy user. I'll update following our next ocean passage.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 18:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I managed Ontario Boat Builders at one time and we sold many Aldo Furlers from Brazil. Used for cruising or racing and considered the best deal around. Alado Nautica USA Reefing and Roller Furling Systems Home Page [SIZE=color=]!Alado Nautica USA Reefing and Roller Furling Systems Home Page[/SIZE]

My Harken Furler just bit the dust and I purchased a new Alado, in the process of installing.

Tags
furler, roller furler