Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 18:15   #1

Boat: Tartan 31
Rigid Boom Vang Puzzle

I hope you folks like a good puzzle, because I've got a fun one.

Our boat came with an "Offshore Vang" by Offshore Spars. I'm pretty sure it's missing some parts but I can't find any documentation for it online, nor did any come with the boat. I think I'm close to having it figured based on pictures of other similar vangs I've found online, but none are my exact model.

The first picture is how it was assembled when we bought the boat. The purpose of the wire and hook to the right was a mystery to me when we bought the boat as it was stowed in an interior locker, it wasn't until after looking at other vangs online that I thought maybe this was related, but I'm not positive.

https://imgur.com/jXW8vIv

The next picture is the vang all taken apart, not pictured are the large spring, and two bushings in the large tube. I think I'm missing a pulley that belongs in the top piece of the vang (bottom left in the picture) and a pin, which maybe goes through the eye of that wire, and then around the missing pulley.

https://imgur.com/9YAMBv6

I've mocked up the way I think it goes together in the last picture. The cable/hook/eye assembly would have a pin through it in the bottom left piece, loop through the small pulley in between the nylon slides pictured above it, and then back to the bottom left piece, exiting out via (what I assume is) a missing pulley and through the slot on the outer tube.

https://imgur.com/88xlwpG

My only problem with this theory is that the wire assembly is really short, with the vang adjusted to its smallest position there would barely be enough to come around the pulley and connect to the adjustment blocks/lines (not pictured). It would also make the adjustment holes on the side of the vang useless since you could only use the first one. However, I've read online that the adjustment holes are meant to be used as the internal spring wheres out over time. So, it's possible that the manufacturer expected the owner as part of regular maintenance/adjustment to have a new wire/hook made up when that adjustment was necessary. Or, this wire might not even belong on the vang.

Has anyone seen one of these that can shed some light for this confused new sailor?
swannie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:28   #2

Re: Rigid Boom Vang Puzzle

Let's see if I can add images correctly this time.

Here's a better view of the way I think it's rigged. Assuming this wire assembly is part of the Vang it lines up pretty nicely with the pieces in there. Any thoughts?

Edit to add: The nylon clamshell thing can easily flip around and the existing pulley can be moved to the other hole, I think this is a point of adjustment and not something missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3766.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	242151  
Old 20-07-2021, 07:29   #3

Re: Rigid Boom Vang Puzzle

Off Shore Spars got back to me and sent me the instructions. They also said that this hasn't been made in about 20 years. Dropping this here in case anyone else comes across this thread and is looking for info on this seemingly obscure boom vang.

Unfortunately, it didn't detail the inner workings, but at least its more information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vang Instructions.pdf (1.97 MB, 38 views)

Tags
boom vang