Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 23:00   #1

Rigging help in Phuket

Hello all,

my mast broke off due to corrosion in Phuket this week.
The boat is a Bavaria 390 from 1991. In heavy wind we were forced to cut off the mast entirely. It is sadly not possible to retrieve any of the old equipment from the bottom of the ocean. A big and unpleasant loss, as you can imagine.
I am keen to get going again asap and am looking for a qualified rigger in Phuket who can help. I am also looking for used equipment (mast, boom etc) to keep costs at bay. Grateful for any practical leads.
Clem
Clemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 04:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Rigging help in Phuket

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Clem.

Precision Shipwright Services is located in Phuket Boat Lagoon, Thailand23/159 Moo 2, Kohkaew, Muang , Phuket 83000 Thailand
Tel: +66 76 239 113
Fax: +66 76 239 132
Mobile : +66 81 5373 986
Email: info@precision-shipwright.com
Web: www.precision-shipwright.com

Rolly Tasker Sails (sailmaker) is also in Phuket.

More ➥ http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Th...pairFacilities

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 12:52   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Clemster,

Other options include trying to source used spars in NZ, AUS, and possibly the US or Europe. Just keep phoning or e-mailing riggers. It's a huge job. I know where you're at, when we were dismasted in 1996, there was collateral damage to lifelines and bow pulpit, and of course, we lots sails, furler, etc. ....

When we were in Phuket, we did not see a spar maker there, but if you ask among the other cruisers, someone will know if there is, now.

Good luck with it.
Old 20-01-2015, 16:58   #4

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Your best bet is probably David at the Boat Lagoon. He works out of East Marine. Rolly Tasker stocks a huge number of spars downstairs in their rigging department if you are in a hurry.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 17:06   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

+1 for the rigging shop under Rolly Taskers....
Old 21-02-2015, 13:42   #6

I posted once already and it has disappeared (not sure if that's the mods or me making a glitch), but:

- I looked at rigging work in that region. I had either competence or price concerns (or both) in relation to the Phuket operators. David at BL seems like a good guy, but the prices charged by his employer and BL are first world prices at best.
- Regarding other operators, I would get some feedback from actual riggers who know the ops you're dealing with. (e.g. Roll Tasker recommended a poly-braid luff to me for a large code zero. Buyer beware.)
- I second Anne Cate's comment about getting a mast from oz/nz or something. you might find you can fly an NZ rigger up to do the work with the mast cheaper than a Phuket rigger. It should be cheaper to do this sort of thing with SE Asian labour costs, but it's not.
- don't overlook Langkawi. It's generally cheaper if you can find the expertise, and much easier to import things to, including rigging and masts. There is a rigger there (Luigi?) but he works on pretty big boats ($$, maybe?).
- If you have issues with sails, I recommend Philip Auger in Langkawi. Good guy, you'll find him online easily. He may have suggestions on rigging, now he's on the ground in Langkawi, so you could do worse than to contact him for ideas. If you can find the mast itself, a bunch of guys are floating around who have the skills to get a mast up if you go swageless.

good luck.

Oh, and finally, if you're gonna spend ages in one spot round there, pick a nice one. Eg Rebak is a far nicer place to be stuck on the hard than Boat Lagoon.
SailingMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 09:17   #7

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

This made me think of an episode one year ago. A Privilege lost her mast in a storm outside of St. Maarten. An insurance job. The owner managed to save the boom. The rest went overboard. If there is anything he regret is that he rescued the boom. Now he has everything new, and an old scratched boom.....Lessons learned.
Clem; why don´t you have an insurance? There can be a reliability issue if your boat causes an oil spill, is sinking or causes any damage to 3 party. A thousand bucks a year could save all that, and would give you a whole new rigging as well. Lessons learned?
Old 01-06-2021, 06:50   #8

For mast repairs and rigging, try Jai.

+66 9 5105 1943

Armaci / Yachtrig
www.armaci.co
Thistle1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging