Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 20:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau 35
Rigging an Asymmetric on a Beneteau

I've recently bought a very lightly used 2010 Beneteau First 35 and (like everyone else) would like to run a cruising asymmetric. The boat has a removable bow roller which extends about 60 cm forward of the forestay, but Beneteau advise that this is not suitable for attaching an asymmmetric as it can't support the upward vertical force. The plate which supports the forestay extends in a strip down the bow secured by 4 bolts and I wondered if I could replace the lowest bolt with a ringbolt and Dyneema strop from the bolt to the underside of the bow roller to reinforce it. I've seen this on other yachts, although not necessarily with removable bow rollers. Might this work or will I end up with a First 34.5 ? Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor mount detail.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	219045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor mount.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	219046  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	219047  
Tony Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 20:53   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47
Re: Rigging an Asymmetric on a Beneteau

Tony,

I can’t comment on the seaworthiness of that setup, although it sounds reasonable to me, so long as you still secure the lower bolt— it’s there for a reason! That said, I wonder if you have enough clearance (fore-aft) between the tip of the roller and the pulpit to fly said Asail. Just something to consider.
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 22:33   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

The First is Beneteau’s “racer/cruiser” line, it seems like they should have a solution to sell you. If not the company, I’d suggest a dealer, if you don’t have one you like locally, Charlie is the owner of Naos in Marina Del Rey, CA, he’s a Beneteau dealer and he is a transpacific racer, I’ve no doubt he could advise you. Barrett at South Coast Yachts may sell more Beneteau’s than any other dealer in the US, you may want to give him a call, very nice guy also.

If I were starting over, I’d be looking to have my asymmetrical on a top down furler. So much easier to manage alone, so much less drama on the foredeck.

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 18:36   #4

Boat: Beneteau 35

Thanks for your replies. Sailor279, you're right, the pulpit is a long way forward, so I'll need to be aware of clearance whatever solution I choose. Fbfisher, thanks for the tips, I'll email Naos and check with Beneteau to see what they suggest. I'm in Hobart, Tasmania, 42' south, so lack of wind is seldom an issue; we recently had 45 knots in the marina. Down here, a poled-out genoa and a main with a preventer is all you need downwind but I want to take the boat to Queensland, where the breeze is a lot softer.
Tony Button is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, beneteau, rigging