Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2021, 11:04   #1

Boat: 1985 Beneteau First 435
Rigging a Tanzer/Forestay/Jib?

Hey All,

I'm currently refitting an old 1979 Tanzer 7.5 that I purchased next to nothing. I raised the mast the other day to get a better understanding of the rigging/what's broken seeing as I've never owned a sailboat before.

Where I'm getting confused is where the forestay from the mast goes and what where/how the rigging is setup for a jib sail? I've attached a picture of what I assume the forestay is coming down from the mast but there was some severed attachments so I had to rig climbing gear to hold it up for now.

Does the forestay go all the way to the bow of the bow of the boat to that chain plate or to the swivel plate it reaches now?

Lastly at the very top of the mast there is one more hole that I assume a stay would come down from but nothing was there so I'm unsure if I'm missing something or have something set up backwards.

I'm sure these are stupid questions but I've drawn a blank at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20210525_160803.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	239302   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20210525_161012.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	239303  

libbymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 19:35   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Rigging a Tanzer/Forestay/Jib?

The forestay should attach to the foremost tang on the bow. The tack of the jib looks like it gets shackled to the bow fitting just aft of the forestay tang. What you're using to clip the carabiners to on the deck in the photo may be for a spinnaker pole foreguy - it is hard to tell. The extra hole at the masthead may be for mounting a spinnaker halyard block. It needs to be out beyond, or in front of the forestay. This link may be helpful: https://www.sailrite.com/Tanzer-75-Sail-Data
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:58   #3

Boat: 1985 Beneteau First 435
Re: Rigging a Tanzer/Forestay/Jib?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
The forestay should attach to the foremost tang on the bow. The tack of the jib looks like it gets shackled to the bow fitting just aft of the forestay tang. What you're using to clip the carabiners to on the deck in the photo may be for a spinnaker pole foreguy - it is hard to tell. The extra hole at the masthead may be for mounting a spinnaker halyard block. It needs to be out beyond, or in front of the forestay. This link may be helpful: https://www.sailrite.com/Tanzer-75-Sail-Data
Okay that makes a lot of sense, I appreciate the info for that!
libbymr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, rigging