Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 16:07   #1
Freelance Sailboat Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

replacing line clutch on SABA 50

Broke a line clutch on a SABA 50 (don't ask), and there doesn't appear to be any access at all to replace it from below. It's looking like we'll have to remove the entire fairing over the starboard windows to replace it -- but it goes from the mast all the way to the helm station -- about a 20' piece that appears to be stuck on with 5200! Anyone know of a secret passage to access it from below?
BVIbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 16:31   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: replacing line clutch on SABA 50

On Catalinas, Beneteaus and Jeanneau (Only ones I've replaced clutches on) the clutches are not thru bolted but just screwed into a plate normally glassed in the deck. Pull a screw, machine or self tapping will tell if you need to get under it. Strain is all lateral so shouldn't need to resist being pulled from the deck. Although I saw it done once on a 45' boat with the sheet lead wrong so it pulled up, freakin clutch exploded but the base was still attached and it took an electric winch and uncomprehending operator to do it.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Ted, I appreciate the input. Unfortunately it is most definitely through-bolted.
The base has already been removed, so there's no doubt about it. The weird part is, the holes in the fairing are way oversized for the 8mm bolt that went through it (about 13mm) and then plugged with caulk. It almost seems like they used some kind of toggle (or similar) to install it from the top.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:54   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

So a toggle like this?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fasco...13_390_003_520

Name:   IMG_4636.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  4.8 KB
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard to say not knowing <grin>, but that might be a solution. I have a background in heavy mechanical things, so it's surprising to me that they'd use a shortcut like this, and one that seems fairly weak. I believe that you're probably correct, though. Just trying to make the re-install 'factory-quality'. I'll give it a go. Thanks MonkeyMan.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:32   #6

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

I believe you can access the clutches by removing the TV cabinet. We are in the process of upgrading our running rigging and are about to do the same. We are also removing the saloon ceiling panels which is very difficult as they are secured with tons of 5200.

You should join the Fountaine Pajot owners group FB - It's a tremendous resource.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017563221642960/

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:56   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's been suggested, and we peeked up behind the cabinet by removing the access panel in the stbd stateroom closet -- no good. I think the inboard bank of clutches might have access from the saloon by removing the overhead (hooray 5200), but as luck would have it, our problem is the set of two on the fairing. I think we're going to go with the toggle solution. Thanks CalmSeas!

Tags
clutch, Saba