Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 15:45   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
replace bearings in reckmann R1 swivel

has anybody worked on a reckmann halyard swivel? my new project boat sat for some years and both the drum and halyard swivel were initially jammed. i needed to take the boat to ensenada for a refit.
i got both of them to turn somewhat, the halyard swivel more than the drum, for the sail south.
so now i want to replace the bearings as i got a bearing kit from reckmann but i can't remember seeing a way to get open the halyard swivel.
is there a circlip on top of the swivel or what? i have some old drawings but i don't see a way to get into it.
just wondering if anybody has done this before.
will be heading down there in a few weeks to figure it out.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reckmann R2 halyard swivel.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	234210   Click image for larger version

Name:	reckmann R2 drum.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	234211  

Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:45   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: replace bearings in reckmann R1 swivel

I had Reckmann roller furlers for both my headsail and staysail. Halfway through our circumnavigation, we needed to change the bearings in the headstay but it was almost impossible to do. Apparently, you have to cut through the welded top to get to the bearing on the upper swivel. The drum bearings had scored the surface so badly that we wound up replacing both furlers. Sorry I can’t be more help.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:57   #3

ok thanks for the input. apparently i'm finding out that there were 3 versions of the halyard swivel, 2 had circlips and one was one piece. i think i have the enclosed version. may just see if i can replace swivel.
thanks again
Old 07-02-2023, 20:47   #4

Any news / information on the R3 Reckmann furler? I have the same issue. Drum is frozen and really needs a rebuild. Dealer in San Diego mentioned sending it back to Reckmann for service. Right now I can't get it off of the Navtec Rod stay. Any tips appreciated!
kaivai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:56   #5

sorry, this project is on backburner, had issues with my VP 2003T. i have a rebuild kit with bearings for the furling unit i got from reckmann via euromarinetrading dot com. i'm probably going to purchase a new upper swivel unit when i do this job.
Old 13-03-2023, 20:13   #6

Thanks, Brought them back to USA from Philippines, will dismantle here and rebuilt with local or Reckmann parts. Service from from Euro Marine is sketchy so far. Have the scoop on taking them apart and they are on my to-do list.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:44   #7

Broke down the R3 in my shop in Tacoma, WA, USA, no problems. Turns out ALL of the parts are available locally. Thus I will not be spending the $400 plus tax, plus shipping dealing with Reckmann but will come out at more like $100 ordering bearings from www.mcmaster.com and getting 2 seals locally form a very knowledge and experienced hydraulic rebuild shop. Had one of the seals custom made for $18.

The R3 IS NOT something that needs to be sent to Germany to be rebuilt! If you can get it off the boat and off the stay you can rebuild it. I could post a basic How-To on this but considering there probably isn't much demand I wont bother. Anyone with questions can write and ask.
Old 08-06-2023, 13:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivai View Post
Broke down the R3 in my shop in Tacoma, WA, USA, no problems. Turns out ALL of the parts are available locally. Thus I will not be spending the $400 plus tax, plus shipping dealing with Reckmann but will come out at more like $100 ordering bearings from www.mcmaster.com and getting 2 seals locally form a very knowledge and experienced hydraulic rebuild shop. Had one of the seals custom made for $18.

The R3 IS NOT something that needs to be sent to Germany to be rebuilt! If you can get it off the boat and off the stay you can rebuild it. I could post a basic How-To on this but considering there probably isn't much demand I wont bother. Anyone with questions can write and ask.
Hi I'm really stuck could you please explain to me how to disassemble the lower bearing please ? I've got the four big hex screws out that hold the plastic drum. There's two more hex head , I can't see what they hold although I've removed them too. All I can see now is two pins higher up where the foil attaches but I can't see how to punch them out from the inside. Thanks for any help
Antaresoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivai View Post

Hi, my name is Cor and I have an issue with my furler, making grinding noise and is stuck half the time. Fear the bearings are gone. Can you advice how to remove the unit please.
My email address is "cor.koster@yahoo.com"
Many thanks in advance.
Cor Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 08:32   #10

SORRY... haven't kept up with email on this site this year.

On the Reckmann Furler,... DO NOT SCRAP it. Its an easy rebuild. You DO NOT generally have to get parts fro Reckmann or their dealer.

I just finished a rebuild of the lower and upper units.
EMAIL for for a quicker response.... "diggerdawg253 (at) gmail "