Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2020, 19:24   #1

Removing the car from traveler rail on really old Beneteau

Hi guys.

I searched for this but couldn't find anything.

I have a 1989 Beneteau First 32.5 with the original traveler and it is in rough shape. 2 of the 4 sheaves have completely disintegrated and the "axels" are butted up against the rail.

How do you get the car off of one of these? I plan to have new sheaves made with brass bushings or bearings.

At the end of the rail there is a "cap" made of aluminum that looks to be secured to the rail right over the mounts that secure the entire system to the top of the cabin. There is a slotted screwhead that looks like the top pf a 6mm bolt that screws into the aluminum "cap".

I have tried to use a hand impact tool to break the screw loose but I ended up breaking the slotted bit.

I know dissimilar metals will corrode and weld together. I was going to try an air hammer and a sharpened punch. This method has worked for me on cars with seized bolts although that is not a galvanic corrosion problem.

Today another boat owner suggested the bolt is a through bolt with a nylock fastener underneath and I should drop the cabin headliner and remove the mounting bolts so I can get a socket on it.

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks
BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 19:26   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Removing the car from traveler rail on really old Beneteau

Almost certainly this is a machine bolt with a washer and nut underneath and you will have to access that to get the traveller free.

Good luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 19:28   #3

Hey! Thanks so much. That makes sense. Lucky I asked before I made a mess of things!

b
BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 00:16   #4

Boat: Najad 373
Removing the car from traveler rail on really old Beneteau

On my 2000 boat, a bit younger but quite classical build, it is indeed washer and bolt under deck. Not easy to access all parts but the only way I think
Quebramar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 01:04   #5
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I have a 1988 Beneteau with an Amiot traveler system. To remove the car, you have to remove a control end which is held to the I beam by a bolt. Itís likely this is frozen and will have to be drilled out. Parts seem to be unavailable but Garhauer seems to have solutions to repair these systems. The actual I beam or rail is through bolted to the cabin top in my boat.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau