Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2009, 07:33   #16

If we are outside everything is stripped off; halyards, mast head stuff, blocks,...

If we are inside we leave everything on except for mast head stuff.

Annual maintenance is; inspection, greasing the screws, polish, McLube.

Every couple years I look at the rod ends. I am looking for any transverse cracks. Clean it up and look with a loupe. No dies.

If you have any questions just holler.

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 22:02   #17

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 42
Thanks everyone for the advise and pictures.
The reason I was thinking of removing the mast is I have issues with the compression post
So I have started another post called Compression post contracting if you have any advice I would be grateful Thanks again everyone This post is invaluable having advice from around the world from people who have experience to share.
Sergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 03:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Once the mast is out you can check a lot of things easier and see all the issues. Take some pictures and post them in your gallery here. I know we all like to look at pictures. It's also a great time to look over all the wires, rigging, and consider any changes.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 07:06   #19

Boat: Currently boatless
I would advise against telling the riggers how to pull the mast. Instead, 1) observe how they do it on someone else's boat; 2) if they seem competent, contract with them to have your mast pulled and observe the procedure. I think it's better to have very clear lines of responsibility, so that if anything goes wrong, there is no question about who is responsible. In addition to potential for property damage, there is also significant possibility of injury. If you tell the rigger where/how to attach the rope, you are assuming a lot of liability in case of a mishap.

You can certainly save quite a bit in labor costs by detaching all electrical connections, removing wind instruments, radar, and lights, and losening the shrouds and stays ahead of the time.

Limit your role in the actual lift to a review of the rigger's procedure and practices. If you don't like them, find yourself another rigger.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 07:38   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
WHEW!!! Ziggy, thanks for that advice. My thoughts exactly. Paul and the guys gave excellent advice, but as I follow this thread, and others by Sergy, I cant help but think (with no disrespect intended Sergy) that he is on a pretty steep learning curve. I realise we all had to start somewhere, but directing the removal of a 50ft spar is not something I did until I had assisted riggers many times.
The spar on my Rhodes Reliant is 47ft of Douglas Fir, and I still hold my breath when it lifts out of the deck step.
My first conversation is always to determine the experience level of the crane operator and hear him express what he thinks will happen when he lifts.
The answers are sometimes quite suprising.
My travel lift operator, who is a close personal friend, asked me why I always walked to the other side of the yard when he was lifting my 12 tons. I told him that if I wanted to be in the business of charging people to lift their boats, I would have my own lift. He double-checked my straps.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 10:57   #21

What a great thread. Thanks everyone.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 17:38   #22

Boat: Cape Dory
This is a great thread. I note the pics have been pulled. If anyone by chance has pics of the procedure, I am expecting to take this on next week and visuals are always helpful. Thanks!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 18:53   #23

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 42
Radar removal
I am just in the preparation stage of removing the mast so I can re-fibreglass the foot in the bilge.
If anyone has advise here please share.
One thing that puzzled me was I climbed the mast today to remove the radar. I removed the radar dome first expecting to easily disconnect a connector to my surprise there were 2 big connectors one with 20 pin one with 18 pins. So I naturally thought they must pull the wire from the other end I ck the Furno display back and here is an even bigger plug. So I remove interior lining to find a disconnect plug but not present so I climbed back up disconnecting the 20 feet of ½”plastic conduit up to the radar and disconnect at radar and hang the hole conduit assembly and plug on top of cabin. I don’t want to use side cutters on this many wires is it normal to have the radar with one cable the hole length with out a disconnect plug? I here of people removing the mast every season surly there must be a better way. Also I remember seeing pictures of the original owner on deck soldering wires that led into the mast above the deck.
Should I expect to be cutting wires or is there usually connector you unplug would these be above the deck or in the bilge area? In French we have an expression “ A man who is warned is worth two” any insight would be much appreciated
Sergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 19:08   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Not a lot of help with deleted pictures

How many people are you going to have help you?

The crane operator will operate the crane.....period.....unless he brings a rigging/lifting crew with him
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 10:26   #25

Boat: Cape Dory
Hey Chief -
Looks like I will have the crane operator, myself and at least 2 other (I am working on a third). The electrical wires are disconnected. Saw horses are built for the mast. I have removed the boom and dealt with things like the topping lift. On Tuesday, I will have to pull the retaining pin, help position the strop (not sure if that can be done from the deck or the crane itslef or if we'll have to send someone up the mast in a chair) then detach the stays and finally detach the the two furlers / forestays. I figure one person will be in the cabin guiding wires and watching the extrusion clear the deck; a second person on deck can walk the furlers alonmg with the mast until they can be passed overboard. The third person will be on the ground guiding the placement of the mast as it comes down. I have a couple of checklists which have been provided which I'll refer to for further details, all in all a rather intimidating endeavor. I am worried about things like whether the radar dome and the furlers will make the mast top heavy and cause it to spin once it clears the deck. I also have some lingering doubts about putting it akll back together in the spring . . .. Not rational perhaps, but they linger!

If anyone does have pics and could post them, I'd be most grateful for the visual confirmation / reassurance. Thx.
M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 12:56   #26

Boat: Columbia 41
I took my mast out by myself with only the boom operator. It is a lot easier than you think. The mast should hang almost vertically in the sling as it rises up past the cabin top. Gravity will be your friend. As it comes down just guide the heal over the first sawhorse. As the mast is lowered down just push it over and above the other saw horses.

When you hoist it back in place, just remember is to put a down haul line in the lifting sling. The sling may tighten up and jamb against the spreader.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, mast