Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 19:07   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Reaching Strut (aka 'Jockey Pole')

When carrying a shy kite (symmetrical), i.e. with the pole well forward, we have the perennial problem of having the brace (guy?) loading up on the stanchions.

The usual solution for this problem is a jockey pole (reaching strut) that takes the guy outboard a little more to take the load off the stanchions.

I have secured myself a nice jockey pole... sure, I need to knock about 10" off it, but it will do the job fine. The question is though, exactly how should I orientate it? I know that it will typically be affixed to the mast (to a pad eye either side of the mast), but should that pad eye be level with, or above, or below the level of the top of the stanchions / safety line? Also, there will typically be a strap foing from teh outboard end of the reching strut to the deck (to stop the strut from lifting up)... should this be made off forward, aft or level with the line of the strut, and should the stut be horixontal, or should the outer end be higher or lower than the inner?

So many questions. I guess I'm gonna have to "suck it and see". I have deployed the reaching strut plenty of times on other boats, in the past, but I never paid all that much atention to the finer details, eheh.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote