Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2024, 18:36   #1

Question about reefing lines

I was trying to track down excessive friction during raising the mainsail, and had to go to the mast to pull reefing lines throught the cringle to get them free to allow the main to go all the way up. The reefing lines came out at the end of the boom and had to go under a point where the stack pack was tied to the topping lift. That seemed to cause excessive friction, and I wondered if that was correctly run.

Apologies for the photo quality, but if the rigging experts on here could look at the attached photo and comment, that would be appreciated. I placed an arrow pointing to the place where the stack pact is tied to the topping lift, and I hope you can see where the reefing lines have to pass under that spot to go up.
I am asking if the reefing lines should go outside of that triangle formed by the two aft ends of the stack pack and the topping lift or not.

Thanks all,

BSer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rigging.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	290808  
Bullshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 18:54   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Question about reefing lines

Yep, that seems to be the trouble. The reefing lines shouldn't be caught under there. Do you take up on your reefing lines when you douse the main? If so I'd recommend not doing that. Is the green line your topping lift? I am wondering why the stack pack is lashed to it.
You might check also if one of the sheaves in the boom is seized up.

edit,
OH I see, the reef lines are under there so they don't fall out and they stay in the stack pack when you douse the main? I think I'd try running them outside of that triangle and just tucking them in when the main is doused so that they can run free when the main is raised. I'd still check those sheaves too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 20:08   #3

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

I would try moving the topping lift to the end of the boom, and the stack pack lashing with it. That should eliminate the interference with the reefing lines.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 20:11   #4

Boat: Hylas 46

I think the reefing lines are correct. (But not a great picture.) Otherwise, the stack pack would be trapped under the reef line when it's in use. You want the reef line to be clear when tight, only operating on the sail.

My question is why doesn't the topping lift go to the end of the boom?

edit: tenchiki beat me to it.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 20:44   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiki View Post
I would try moving the topping lift to the end of the boom, and the stack pack lashing with it. That should eliminate the interference with the reefing lines.
Even better idea!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 21:35   #6

It looks like the topping lift does go to the end of the boom but is pulled forward by the stack pack attachment, which I think is the problem. The stack pack should not be attached to the topping lift and should only be attached by the vertical lines that attach to the mast near the spreaders, so that the back end of the stack pack is open and the reefing lines run free when you raise the main. Detach the stack pack from the topping lift and your problem shove solved.
Also, when you lower the sail, just gather the reefing line and lay it on top of the sail at the end of the boom. Do NOT pull the slack out at the mast. That way the reefing line wil not have to run through the reefing point on the sail when you raise it. Hope that all makes sense and good luck.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 08:20   #7

Thank you all. Your thoughts make sense to me.

And I have tried dealing with the reefing lines upon dousing both ways, as it seems sloppy to have big loops dangling from the boom, but I prefer doing as suggested, and NOT pulling the slack out as the sail comes down. Works better for me. Just throw the loops onto the sail in the stack pack...

BSer
Old 13-06-2024, 01:34   #8
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Does the stack pack have to tie to the topping lift?
I have never seen that before.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 12:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Does the stack pack have to tie to the topping lift?
I have never seen that before.
I don't see why it should. I found 2 more pics that may help. (Green line is the topping lift.)

What if they tied in to the same place that the topping lift does? Or that may just keep the stack pack too low at the aft end. It seems better to have them just tied to the lazy jack lines going up to the mast, up high.

I'm going to study the way they are rigged on some other boats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boom1.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	290884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boom2.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	290885  

Old 14-06-2024, 01:56   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Our topping lift attaches to the very end of the boom, from the back of the sheave box. There used to be a welded eye there but it broke, so I just basket hitched a Dyneema loop around the back plate and through the opening for the outhaul sheave. Our stack pack zipper attaches to the topping lift and the stackpack supports itself with its top battens and the lines up to the spreaders. It would definitely help your situation to move the topping lift from the pad eye to outboard of the sheaves.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 04:43   #11

Boat: Sabre 34

I have never seen a topping lift inside of the reefing lines, the topping lift needs to run free while sailing.

I agree with others that it needs to be moved to the end of the boom - looking at the first picture in your OP it seems that you don’t have anything at the end you can connect it to, in that case you can use the furthest sheave (1st reef sheave) for the topping lift, bring the line forward through the boom and see if it works. My topping lift is configured that way, it is fixed to the mast top and has a 2:1 tackle at the end of the boom, line comes forward through the boom and cleated near the mast.

I also have a stack pack with lazy jacks, the pack’s aft section sags and does not look elegant, however, it is not connected to the topping lift while sailing, I only attach it when I am putting the boat away after a sail.

Hope it helps.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 08:44   #12

Thanks all, I thought that it was not run right, as there was a tangle there at one point and a lot of friction even after I undid the tangle.
Old 17-06-2024, 06:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yep, that seems to be the trouble. The reefing lines shouldn't be caught under there. Do you take up on your reefing lines when you douse the main? If so I'd recommend not doing that. Is the green line your topping lift? I am wondering why the stack pack is lashed to it.
You might check also if one of the sheaves in the boom is seized up.

edit,
OH I see, the reef lines are under there so they don't fall out and they stay in the stack pack when you douse the main? I think I'd try running them outside of that triangle and just tucking them in when the main is doused so that they can run free when the main is raised. I'd still check those sheaves too.
Yes, i recently tied the top of the bag up to the topping lift, to keep the bag in better shape. Just free the reefing lines and tuck them in. It's bit of a safety issue and needs to be done quickly before someone gets one wrapped around their neck though.
Robinspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 01:22   #14

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

my arrangement works fine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230420_132149.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	291107  
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 04:25   #15

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

This may have nothing to do with your issue but I just cleaned out the inside of the boom and the amount of bird nesting had the reef lines almost impossible to pull. This is the second time i've done this and wonder how many others have had to do it.
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote