Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2022, 13:05   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Pulling new halyard using existing one

Looking for a way to connect two halyards end to end to use an existing one to pull a new one. I think it's some kind of Chinese Finger thing. I've seen it done but never paid much attention.
Thanks,
Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 14:19   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Pulling new halyard using existing one

Needle and thread.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 15:18   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I do this frequently when putting the boat to sleep and taking down the halyards. I use some fine line tied in several wraps and some hitches around each end of the two pieces of line butted up against each other. I then wrap the whole thing in electrical tape to create a seamless joint. I have been doing this twice a year for more than 10 years and, fingers crossed, it has never failed.

More recently, the rigger that has made some replacement halyards for me, builds some loops into the bitter end of the halyard. This is much better and less anxiety causing. I tie the small diameter runner line into the loop and then tape the whole thing with electrical tape.

However, as noted in the previous post, needle and thread is the traditional and probably less prone to failure method.
Old 29-09-2022, 15:20   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

I melt the butt ends together using a line cutting gun (soldering gun with blade or hot knife) and then sew together with waxed sailmakers twine.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 16:09   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Needle and thread.
This.

Stitch them butt to butt, then a wrap of tape so they feed easily. Simple. Foolproof.
Old 29-09-2022, 16:36   #6

Same for me - needle and thread
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 16:41   #7

Needle and thread end to end.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 17:39   #8

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Looking for a way to connect two halyards end to end to use an existing one to pull a new one. I think it's some kind of Chinese Finger thing. I've seen it done but never paid much attention.
Thanks,
Bob
Despite everyone else saying needle and thread, that's risky - you are depending on the thread strength which isn't great, and having no hang-ups when going over the sheaves.

The Chinese finger-trap thing is *much* better. Often called a cable protector, something like this: https://www.jaycar.com.au/self-closi...-x-2m/p/WH5634

Just needs a wrap of tape at each end onto each rope section, has very good strength (you can really haul on it), smooth so goes through sheaves easily...

Once you try it, you won't go back!
AndyOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 17:47   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Needle and thread risky? Risky what? You can’t pull them apart. I guess I assumed sail thread is obvious. But a number of stitches with household thread won’t break unless under great pressure.
Old 29-09-2022, 17:52   #10

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOz View Post
Despite everyone else saying needle and thread, that's risky - you are depending on the thread strength which isn't great, and having no hang-ups when going over the sheaves.

The Chinese finger-trap thing is *much* better. Often called a cable protector, something like this: https://www.jaycar.com.au/self-closi...-x-2m/p/WH5634

Just needs a wrap of tape at each end onto each rope section, has very good strength (you can really haul on it), smooth so goes through sheaves easily...

Once you try it, you won't go back!

There are 🧵 threads and then there are thick, waxed threads. Make sure you don’t go cheap or underestimate how to do it right
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 17:59   #11

Boat: Switch 51

Chinese finger trap is definitely stronger than stitching. I doubt it would break even with my full weight on it.

Sometimes the edge of the rope (or the thread) can get hung up, even inside the mast on a fitting, and you need to pull hard.

Given the risk, and the downside (trying to send down a mouse line and fish through a small hole for the tail, or having to pull the stick), it's only a few $ and a lot of piece of mind having it in your toolbox...
AndyOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 20:24   #12

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Assuming it has a core an cover, take the end of the existing halyard and cut it at the end, pull the cover back and cut out a length of the core so only the cover remains. Cut out enough core so that you can fold the cover back on itself. Now, sew the end of the cover to itself, creating a reeving eye. Make sure there's enough loop free to thread in the new halyard.

With your new halyard, attach it through that reeving eye using a nice compact and strong knot, and/or optional needle and thread. The key is to make sure the diameter is consistent through the whole thing, so there isn't a lump.

If you take your time, and get the diameter of the join right, you should be able to pull the whole thing through with no issues. It's magical and satisfying when it goes that well. Sometimes I wrap the whole join with one layer of electrical tape to make it compact and smooth.

Add reeving eyes to your new halyard in preparation of the off-season or the next halyard change.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 20:36   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
This.

Stitch them butt to butt, then a wrap of tape so they feed easily. Simple. Foolproof.
Yes, this
Old 29-09-2022, 20:38   #14

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Lay line down butt to butt. Take about a foot of gaffa/grey tape and put it down parallel on the lines, butt joint in the middle.
Slowly roll the tape parallel around the rope.
Result is a thin long tape sleeve going easily over the blocks.
If you want extra security add some stitches before taping.
When done remove the tape quickly.

Never failed me in 40 years.
Old 30-09-2022, 22:00   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

You can do the chinese finger trap thing by cutting some of the core out of one end of one of the lines then pushing the other line into the cover and binding the end of the outer cover tightly. The harder you pull the tighter it will grip.

Tags
halyard