Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 09:35   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 25D
Proper Reefing Horn?

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! I'm trying to understand the mains'l reefing system on a Cape Dory 25D. It uses slab reefing, which is simple enough, but the reefing horns at the gooseneck appear to be bent over into closed loops (see attached). The attachment points on the luff use webbing passed through a cringle with each end of the webbing capturing a SS ring ( something like this: O=O ).

I was expecting the reef horns at the gooseneck to be somewhat open so that a ring could be hooked to it directly when reefing. As you can see, the horns are all but completely closed. I thought the horns might have been bent over somehow, but the metal used for them is really quite heavy duty (of course!) and I feel this is highly unlikely.
Can someone help me understand how the reef horns in this case might be used to capture the rings of the mains'l reef points? Many thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	229944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	229945  

svonadym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:46   #2

Re: Proper Reefing Horn?

Those dont look like reefing horns to me. maybe they are just curled like that to avoid any sail wear?
You can install horns, or you can just use a line through the cringle to pull the cringle down and fasten it. Fasten the line on one end at the mast base or with a nice shackle to one of those "horns" you have, then up through the cringle and pull it down to a cleat at the mast.
Is there maybe a turning block at the mast base and a cleat on the coach roof for a reef line like that?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:05   #3

I'd send the picture to RigRite and they will be able to explain what's missing.
https://www.rigrite.com/

My guess would be that there's a missing reef hook from both sides of that gooseneck toggle and the hooks are secured in place by bolts that pass through the rolled end of the toggle fitting.
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Reef_Hooks.php
SailFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:36   #4

Yeah, that link has options that appear they would replace what's on your setup easily.
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Reef_Hooks.php

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:07   #5

Thank you for the responses. I never thought to send a picture to Rig-Rite. I'll give that a try. The picture they have on their site for a "Reef Hook/Tack Assemblies" is what I was thinking the part on my boat is supposed to be. (for reference: https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparPa...k%20Assemblies)

It seems odd to me that the manufacturer of this piece would fabricate those rolled extremities without specific intent; there are easier, more economical ways to provide sail protection.
I'm not at the boat currently, but haven't seen any turning blocks or otherwise that would assist with reefing other than along the boom for the sail's leach. Whatever the former owner used at the tack, they used it in conjunction with the reefing rings at the luff. Perhaps the boat is just missing the necessary parts at present and I'll have to put something together.

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:35   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

They are not meant as reefing horns, that is just part of the goose neck. They are rolled to protect the sail.

You can buy the same basic fitting that does have reefing horns on both sides, my boat has that but no pictures available unfortunately.
Just like the reef hook/ tack assembly at Rigrite that you posted.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 14:54   #7

In concurrence with Gary's message, Rig-Rite tells me these are "bent on purpose to NOT be used at all".

Now to figure out how the reef tacks were intended to be secured.
Old 04-01-2021, 15:08   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

I agree that it looks like your gooseneck isn't set up with reefing horns. Many trailer sailors aren't set up effectively for reefing -- neither the Hunter 26 I have now nor the Morgan 24 that I had previously were rigged for reefing when I got them. (The Hunter lacked a block and eye on the boom for the clew, and the Morgan lacked a reefing hook at the tack.)

I am sorry to say that I have not had good service from Rig Rite. I had ordered a replacement mast hinge from them for my Morgan and after several months of phone calls and promises it never shipped. I ended up using another supplier. I hope your experience is better.

I would suggest that you contact a local sail loft or rigging shop for advice as even if you are able to get what you need from Rig Rite it may affect placement of the tack grommet in your sail as well as placement and rigging of the reef cringle. A loft could also advise you on alternatives. While having a hook at the gooseneck is always a good thing, you can pull the sail down and forward via other means. As Cheechako mentions you can rig a cringle instead though you may also want a support line around the mast if you do that to take the strain off the slug or boltrope.

Tags
rope