Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2022, 16:02   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy, 31' sloop, ATHESA
Unhappy Problem with Selden Genoa furling system

Did not do much sailing during the Covid times.
Have been working on my Hallberg Rassy 31 Monsun. After a while of inactivity went sailing a couple of days ago. Rolling out and furling in that could be done easily has now become really hard and heavy.
Dropped the genoa and serviced the moving parts by cleaning and greasing the bearings. They work fine.
Tried to unfurl and furl the genoa after service. Both unfurling and rolling in are as hard and heavy as before the service.
Any idea what could be wrong and how to solve the problem.
Sindbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 21:00   #2

Re: Problem with Selden Genoa furling system

I had this happen recently to me. Turned out, the furling line was somehow getting tangled around the forestay mount below the furler. I have no idea how this was happening. But it would get a single wrap around it and then become hard to furl in because of the tension of being wrapped around the forestay mount.

I didn’t notice for awhile until it wrapped a second time around, causing it to completely bind up. Then I discovered what had been going on.

Of course by then my 10mm double braided poly line was totally chewed up. So I replaced it with a 8mm vectran furling line by Marlow. So far so good, though I need to give it more time before I call it fixed.
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 23:11   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbaad View Post
Did not do much sailing during the Covid times.
Have been working on my Hallberg Rassy 31 Monsun. After a while of inactivity went sailing a couple of days ago. Rolling out and furling in that could be done easily has now become really hard and heavy.
Dropped the genoa and serviced the moving parts by cleaning and greasing the bearings. They work fine.
Tried to unfurl and furl the genoa after service. Both unfurling and rolling in are as hard and heavy as before the service.
Any idea what could be wrong and how to solve the problem.
We’ve had similar problems before. Three things come to mind : 1] all blocks, fair leads, eyes, leading from aft to bow running well? We found a block had seized during the off season and needed cleaning and ultimately, replacement. 2) are any other halyards clear of the forestry? We’ve had the spinnaker halyard interfering with furling in the past , as it was out away on the incorrect side. 3) is the Genoa halyard itself run properly , no twist or wrap at the top?

We find even a little bit of extra friction causes extreme increase in the system. Sometimes even having a fender on deck causes enough friction to slow the whole system.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:02   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Very possibly either the stay or the halyard is too loose. This allows the stay to droop causing a lot of friction. On our boat we had a backstay adjuster, and tightening it tightened the forestay making furling the jib much easier.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 20:45   #5

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Very possibly either the stay or the halyard is too loose. This allows the stay to droop causing a lot of friction. On our boat we had a backstay adjuster, and tightening it tightened the forestay making furling the jib much easier.

I have had a similar issue solved the same way

Tags
furling, Genoa