Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 02:34   #1

Boat: Herreshoff cat Ketch 40'
Problem with 2 speed Barient winch.

One of my Baronet 24 2 speed winches is only working one way. ~i stripped it down cleaned it , could see no obvious problem. `put it back together. still will not work 2 speed, the other winch is fine.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem might be. All comments welcome.
~Mike
SY Pollen Path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:43   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Problem with 2 speed Barient winch.

Does it only turn in one direction, or turn in one direction & function normally in the other?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:14   #3

Boat: Herreshoff cat Ketch 40'

The w9nch handle will only turn it in one direction and will jot go back so to use ~i have to keep turning handle 360 degrees( not possible due to stanchion. ) or take the handle out and put back in 180 degrees off. ect ect. Normal handle would work both ways.
SY Pollen Path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:21   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You may have one, or a pair of pawls inverted. Take a few snapshots of the internals of the winch which is working, & compare them to the one which is giving you trouble. Also you can find manuals for them at www.cncphotoalbum.com & www.L-36.com Which hopefully will assist you.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:35   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Are you sure you opened up and cleaned the entire winch? There should have been *two* pawl drums, with two pawls each. Just asking because someone new to cleaning winches might not know you need to remove the gearbox from the base (attached by 4 allen head bolts) to get access to the remaining >50% of the winch.

I just fixed a Barient 18 on my boat this weekend that was only winching in one direction (the slow direction) because the bottom pinion was completely seized.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
You may have one, or a pair of pawls inverted. Take a few snapshots of the internals of the winch which is working, & compare them to the one which is giving you trouble. Also you can find manuals for them at www.cncphotoalbum.com & www.L-36.com Which hopefully will assist you.
I agree! I think it's possible to either install the pawls backwards, or flip over the gear in which they operate. Very easy to do.

Basically, it's the pawls, and you've just go to identify which pair. Make sure the contact or engage the pawl recesses on the gears, etc. with a nice "fit". They should appear to engage perfectly, and not leave a little triangular gap.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barient, winch