Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 13:03   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Point Loading Tang Plates - Will my mast fall?

Upon climbing the rig of my new boat, I realized that the upper shroud swages are improperly sized, which results in a clevis pin that is point loading the tang plates.

Because this is a 27-foot boat, I do not want to replace the uppers aloft, as I don't think the rig is strong enough and it is a bit of a scary operation.

Can I wait a season and fix it next season?

I am not crossing any oceans, but I DO NOT want my mast to fall down.

Thoughts?

Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	215071  
Old 14-05-2020, 13:10   #2

Re: Point Loading Tang Plates - Will my mast fall?

It's very hard to know from a picture, but I would say yes you are fine to wait. Is the hole elongated yet or clean?
When you get it done you might consider a longer tang so you can reuse the wire with a larger pinned end fitting and so it doesn't rub on the mast itself if possible. Or you may find that it's that way because the size wire you have wont accommodate an end fitting with the pin size you need.
Either was a new tang that is longer with appropriate pin hole would solve it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 14:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Point Loading Tang Plates - Will my mast fall?

First not a problem going up your mast. Mast will support you and the boat won't tip over even if you were so fat that getting up the mast would be a miracle. Regularly have gone to the mast head with climbing gear on the 5/16" Dyneema cored halyards on my 28' boat.

On that size boat leaving as is would probably be just fine. I sailed to Hawaii with 1/4" clevis pins in 1/2" upper swage fittings for the lower shrouds on much larger Pearson 35. They were carry overs from the PO so no idea how long it had been rigged that way. I'd inspected the rigging but somehow missed the pin issue possibly because the 1/4" clevis pins had large heads so they hid the size difference between puka in the tang and the jaw swage.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, mast