Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 04:44   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Outhaul winch challenge

Looking for advice for replacing the Lewmar single speed non selftailing winch that worked as an outhaul on my Hood Stowaway non-electric furler, Was sailing home in stiff breeze under reefed headsail when I decided to roll out a bit of main to balance the helm. The setup is inconvenient as it requires me to tail the outhaul line while cranking the winch while standing on the cabin top-in other words both hands are in use while standing on the highest point of the deck in an often rough sea. The arrangement became really inconvenient when the winch literally exploded (It was pretty windy-25 gusting to 30).

I'd like to replace the winch with a self tailer, but it seems the number 6 is not available as a self tailer- the smallestself tailer Lewmar makes is a a 16-but the welded on winch base will only accomodate a 4" base at best. Who makes the smallest self tailer?
I suppose routing the outhaul line to the deckis an option too-though that seems complicated and I'm not fond of lines running on deck. Despite its limitations, I do enjoy my roller furling main and changing that out is not an option. What would you all suggest?
Jim
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Outhaul winch challenge

We have a Lewmar 16 ST for the outhaul under the sprayhood and the ST bit is worth its weight in gold.

I hear what you say about not having lines on the deck, but ours runs back inside the boom to the gooseneck, down to a deck pulley at the foot of the mast and across the cabin top. There is little friction so I can normally just pull the outhaul to deploy the main. The winch is mainly used to furl the main later if we are sailing downwind. Upwind again I can furl the main by hand most of the time.

Since we don't need to leave the cockpit to furl or unfurl the main, the outhaul and the kicker rope don't cause us any problems.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:56   #3

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Outhaul winch challenge

[QUOTE=Pete7;3228394]We have a Lewmar 16 ST for the outhaul under the sprayhood and the ST bit is worth its weight in gold.

I hear what you say about not having lines on the deck, but ours runs back inside the boom to the gooseneck, down to a deck pulley at the foot of the mast and across the cabin top. There is little friction so I can normally just pull the outhaul to deploy the main. The winch is mainly used to furl the main later if we are sailing downwind. Upwind again I can furl the main by hand most of the time.

Since we don't need to leave the cockpit to furl or unfurl the main, the outhaul and the kicker rope don't cause us any problems.

Pete[/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply Pete. Is your main on a furler too? My StowAway requires furling at the mast-its manual. no electric.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outhaul, winch