Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Outhaul rigging

Okay, this is not my first boat, but it is the first time I've ever replaced the outhaul on anything larger than a day sailer. Our boat had wire coming out of the end of the boom and shackled to the clew of the sail, and 1/2" double braid at the gooseneck for winching it tight. I never thought about it, but just assumed some type of rope to wire splice internal to the boom. While replacing the mainsail, I noticed the last foot or two of the outhaul wire had some broken strands and decided to replace it.

I was very surprised to find a 5:1 block and tackle inside the boom. Maybe everyone else already knows this, but to me it was news.

I replaced the wire with dyneema and the 1/2" dacron with 3/8" double braid. I was always noticing a lot of friction in the outhaul, and a lot of it was coming from the original rigger using 1/2" line in a fiddle block rated for 3/8" maximum line.

Here is a photo of the new install (with a shiny new Harken block) ready to go back into the boom.

Cheers!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New outhaul 1.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	82875  
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: Outhaul rigging

What are you attempting to tell/ask ? So far there is no point to the post.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Call it education. I'm willing to bet most folks reading this are not aware there is, or may be, a block and tackle inside their boom. I thought it worth sharing.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 06:43   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Call it education. I'm willing to bet most folks reading this are not aware there is, or may be, a block and tackle inside their boom. I thought it worth sharing.

Cheers!

Steve
I knew this, but I appreciated seeing it stated. The outhaul is a sail control people don't seem to fully grasp (see "Cunningham") and displaying "the guts" is going to be helpful at understanding the forces involved.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 07:27   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I was scratching my head, trying to come up with a way to rig the outhaul on my cat so that it didn't chafe. A friend on a similar sized cat showed me his. The clew of the main was shackled to a padeye welded to the boom. "Hey", he said, "it's a cruising boat". it struck me that, as a cruiser, I have not adjusted my outhaul in 35 years. Mine is now shackled to the boom as well.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 16:31   #6

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I knew this, but I appreciated seeing it stated. The outhaul is a sail control people don't seem to fully grasp (see "Cunningham") and displaying "the guts" is going to be helpful at understanding the forces involved.
+1

Not only that but single or double reef lines are usually inside the boom as well. Lots going on inside there.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 21:24   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Thanks for sharing. I was just trying to figure out what the PO had done for an outhaul on my C&C 27 and the photo and discussion helped me to figure out what he'd done on the outside of the boom. Seems he forgot to leave me those parts :-(
AKA-None is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, outhaul