Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 10:55   #46

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZSailor View Post
I have full battened sail and when I drop it the first or second battens bend and prevent the sail dropping all the way I usually have to pull it down by hand. Not always pleasant in choppy areas or solo.
Anyone has experienced similar problems and had an idea?
Sounds to me like your slides are hanging up.

I have an EZ track system. Within a couple seconds of letting loose the halyard the main is 80% in the lazy-jacks. The sail is 8.7 oz (stiff) so the rest has to be pulled.

Sometimes one has to ease off or tighten up the tension of the L-jack lines as well as controlling the boom swing.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:05   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If it is because your slides are hanging up, you might try lubricating the mast extrusion/track with a 'dry' lubricant. I've been using a spray lube that goes on wet but dries almost immediately. It doesn't stain or attract dirt. Did that with my internal track and it's made raising and lowering the sail way easier. Have to repeat it about twice a year but no big deal with my Top Climber. Consider it a safety feature as it gets me up the mast to inspect it for any impending problems.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 13:11   #48

Thanks for the quick answer. I have tried to lube the groove using dry lube or just the old dish detergent. Helps some but not enough. The problem seems to be that the tip of the batten drags on the sail flakes below then the batten curves (looks like a quarter circle with one tip parallel to the mast the other to the boom) with the side next to the mast holding the sail up. I actually have to "flatten" the batten then pull down.
Don't know if a track will help and would like to try cheaper alternatives first. The sail is fairly stiff (don't know the weight as it came with the boat). Is it possible stiffer battens could help?
EZSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 14:10   #49

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Troubleshoot

So, I get the impression that the battens are heavy at their roach/leach ends causing the aft of the sail to drop before the slugs, in turn causing a bind at the slug.

Are the battens tapered? Is the slug inline with the batten?

Stiffeners could be added between the batten and the slug, reducing the bend in the sail causing the bind, if the above is the case.

This is why I hate internal slugs. I would rather have a metal external slider but found the EZ slide to be better. The slider cars hold the battens.
Old 14-12-2010, 15:41   #50

That is exactly what happens. I'll talk to a sailmaker about stiffeners. Not sure it makes sense to retrofit an old sail though

Thanks!
EZSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 00:14   #51

Boat: Atkins, Thistle, 32'1" - Starlight
Thanks for all the different views and practical advice. I'll settle for a retractable lazy jack system.