Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 07:17   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Trinidad 48
Old teak decking

Hi
We have some very old teak deck sections (over grp) it all needs replacing but we can’t do it yet. I wondered if anyone can recommend some fairly cheap oil or treatment just to improve it and maybe protect it a little.
Many thanks
mtompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:39   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Old teak decking

A photo might help.

Silver teak decks are the height of nautical fashion for some cruisers - others call it a dull grey mess.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 22:10   #3

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Get rid of the teak and glue on something like Treadmaster. Teak is horrible, not very nonskid, hot in summer, and looks like sh_t after a while.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 03:02   #4

Teak New or Teak Nu.

We used to use it it oil the unvarnished teak on my dad's Gulfstar. Gives it a warm red glow...

I'm sorry for those people who don't like teak decks. I think they're beautiful.
Sailed across the South Pacific is a wood boat with teak decks - they were hot but lovely.

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 03:51   #5

If the sealant between the planks stands proud, use a trim plane to cut it down, then sand smooth. This sometimes means the trifecta 80, 120, 180 grit.

I don't use oil. I use off the shelf chlorine kitchen and a nail brush to get stains and dirt out. Always scrub across the grain. This is important. Scrubbing with the grain eventually raises the grain and can cause splintering.

I use the same bleach and a blue bristle deck brush to do a deck wash down. Again, always scrub across the grain. Don't use a high pressure water stream.

I attempt to keep the deck silver grey and smooth. I use the same technique whether the deck is brand new or many years old. If the air quality is urban, I usually spend 2 hours twice a week maintaining a fifty foot sailboat deck and cockpit.

Two part teak cleaners work well but raise the grain substantially. I sometimes use it as an initial step if I know it will be sanded afterwards.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck