Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 18:01   #16

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: New Sails and Staysail Questions Najad 380

Hard to contact her now -- she's left on her Solo non-stop circumnavigation -- but Jeanne Socrates is on her Najad 380. Here is a link to her boat specs, including sail plan. Probably a good place to start!

Boat Details | S/V Nereida
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 00:57   #17

Boat: Najad 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamp View Post
Hi Mark,

It might be worth speaking to Ben at Shore Sails up at Swanwick ( premier marina) he made a set for our Moody 40 and spent plenty of time speaking to us and looking at the boat to make sure what he supplied was really going to work. He has subsequently made some alterations to the sails on our Malo and is extremely helpful. I've no connection with his company other than being a satisfied customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi Williamp

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have chosen Peter Sanders. In business I tend to select the personality/relationship I want and then flex what we do around that. Having sat with the man in his loft. Shared a cup of tea and a joke or two. Thats me done. So its hard for me to look at others now. Thats just how I work!

I will keep on asking questions and I know the quality of the answers Peter will give me will only relate to the quality of the question. Its my job to ask good questions. Thanks for helping me here to do that.

Sounds like you did a similar thing with your local guy. Its good to have local trusted businesses employing local people to make stuff is not? :-)

Mark
Mark Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 01:08   #18

Boat: Najad 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
fwiw, our sailmaker (Steve Walker in Tasmania) advised us that while Radial Hydranet, used in radial cut sails was definitely a step up from any pure Dacron availablle, the cross cut Hydranet, used in a cross cut sail was not worth the extra cost. We are quite happy with our radial Hydranet main and small genoa. We chose Dacron cross cut for our Solent jib (much like a blade in shape).

YMMV

Jim
Thanks Jim

I hear you on that and I have this feeling already. The nice thing is that I have asked Peter Sanders questions on maximising my sailing £ against the new sail plan and we both remain flexible on it. I had budgeted to do the thing on the main and 130 genny being Tri-radial on Hydrant Radial but we may compromise on this to add options to the sail plan.

Or I may just have to spend more money! Or do it in stages. One thing I am thinking about now is doing the main and a new blade jib and keeping the old 130 for a while till the boat fund recovers again.

M
Mark Payne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
najad, sail, sails