Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 13:59   #136
cruiser

Re: New Sails! Advice Needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I'm not far behind you and looking to buy again. My string sails, which were great have suddenly started to struggle in the tropics and I have a few delamination problems. Let me/us know how well they turn out for you.

But can you actually use sails in the Med in summer?
Not much in Spain, but last season in Sardinia, Italy and the Adriatic, we sailed almost everywhere. Only used about 100 engine hours in five months, and at least 30 of those hours were for charging.

Dolphin Sails made our set, they're supposed to last for 30,000 miles.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:42   #137

Boat: Jeanneau 45 DS

This was a very informative and interesting thread. I'd love to know how Dockhead's experience has been since buying the new sails and if any others have informed opinions of the sail cloth market in 2019 (3di vs DP/Bainbridge/Contender laminates) and their durability?

Thanks
SV_ATLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 00:36   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_ATLAS View Post
This was a very informative and interesting thread. I'd love to know how Dockhead's experience has been since buying the new sails and if any others have informed opinions of the sail cloth market in 2019 (3di vs DP/Bainbridge/Contender laminates) and their durability?

Thanks

I've posted about this elsewhere, but my sails (made out of Bainbridge carbon/technora) have wildly exceeded my expectations. Hardly any sign of wear, shape still perfect, after now 5 seasons of hard use with at least 3000 or 4000 miles of sailing every year. I had hoped to get 10 000 miles out of them; now I don't even know how long to expect to use them. The durability is amazing; far better than expected or promised.

The difference in sailing performance to Dacron sails is difficult to describe. These sails respond to very fine control adjustments and can be adjusted into any shape; sailing much faster and giving much more fun. I can do all kinds of stuff which was not possible with Dacron sails -- for example, trimming the mainsail very flat and feathering it slightly, instead of reefing. Biggest difference of course is upwind. But also very noteworthy is the great extension of usable wind range both up and down. With the blade jib up, I can keep all plain sail up to about 30 knots apparent without reefing anything, by careful trimming, or I can make 3 to 4 knots of boat speed in 4 or 5 knots of true wind. With the very same sails.

Best money I ever spent on the boat.

I'll never ever go back to woven sails.

My biggest mistake was splashing out on two headsails -- a standard 120% yankee and a 95% blade. The blade is so versatile and so good in so many ways, that the yankee, which was the most expensive of all of the sails, is rarely used. I think the last time I even had it out of the bag was two years ago.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 13:04   #139
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've posted about this elsewhere, but my sails (made out of Bainbridge carbon/technora) have wildly exceeded my expectations. Hardly any sign of wear, shape still perfect, after now 5 seasons of hard use with at least 3000 or 4000 miles of sailing every year. I had hoped to get 10 000 miles out of them; now I don't even know how long to expect to use them. The durability is amazing; far better than expected or promised.

The difference in sailing performance to Dacron sails is difficult to describe. These sails respond to very fine control adjustments and can be adjusted into any shape; sailing much faster and giving much more fun. I can do all kinds of stuff which was not possible with Dacron sails -- for example, trimming the mainsail very flat and feathering it slightly, instead of reefing. Biggest difference of course is upwind. But also very noteworthy is the great extension of usable wind range both up and down. With the blade jib up, I can keep all plain sail up to about 30 knots apparent without reefing anything, by careful trimming, or I can make 3 to 4 knots of boat speed in 4 or 5 knots of true wind. With the very same sails.

Best money I ever spent on the boat.

I'll never ever go back to woven sails.

My biggest mistake was splashing out on two headsails -- a standard 120% yankee and a 95% blade. The blade is so versatile and so good in so many ways, that the yankee, which was the most expensive of all of the sails, is rarely used. I think the last time I even had it out of the bag was two years ago.
You should tell this to Bainbridge so they start making it again.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 13:26   #140

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
You should tell this to Bainbridge so they start making it again.
Must have been lasting too long and reducing the stock turnover...

Jim

Tags
sail, sails