Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 15:20   #1

New forstay with "Hood" furler. Need 8mm "Cone" for the terminal

Hi all
I'm changing my forstay cable. My furler is a Hood furler. Installed in Australia perhaps around 30 years ago.
At the bottom terminal, the cable must be pressed with the system presented in the pictures. With the long thin Cone and the sleve. This specific diameter sleve is necessary to fit inside the furler.

I can reuse the sleve. The problem is I cannot get my hands on a new cone in order to repress the new cable.

Any ideas and tips are very welcome!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_073710.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	211331   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_073701.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	211332  

sailor Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 15:55   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: New forstay with "Hood" furler. Need 8mm "Cone" for the terminal

IIRC Hood (and Schaefer) actually used Norseman cones back in the day. When Norseman went out of business those cones became very hard to find. But I guess there was enough demand that a couple of places started making cones to fit. I'd triple-check dimensions, but here are a couple of aftermarket sources:

https://www.tylaska.com/product/norseman-gibb/

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4864547

(I'm guessing that Defender is selling the Tylaska product, so it could just be one source and two vendors, but I really don't know)
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 17:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
IIRC Hood (and Schaefer) actually used Norseman cones back in the day. When Norseman went out of business those cones became very hard to find. But I guess there was enough demand that a couple of places started making cones to fit. I'd triple-check dimensions, but here are a couple of aftermarket sources:

https://www.tylaska.com/product/norseman-gibb/

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4864547

(I'm guessing that Defender is selling the Tylaska product, so it could just be one source and two vendors, but I really don't know)
Thank you mate!
Moreover, do you happen to know what are the balls in the Hood bearings are made of? Is it steel or resin? And where can they be obtained?

Cheers
Old 26-03-2020, 21:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor Martin View Post
Thank you mate!
Moreover, do you happen to know what are the balls in the Hood bearings are made of? Is it steel or resin? And where can they be obtained?

Cheers

They are a combination of stainless and delrin. What model is your Hood furler? We put new bearings in both of ours about 10 years ago. And then replaced one. Being honest, I wouldn't throw any more money at it. They just kinda suck. Since the one we have left is overkill on a small staysail, I'm sort of OK with it. But I wouldn't keep one for a genoa.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
They are a combination of stainless and delrin. What model is your Hood furler? We put new bearings in both of ours about 10 years ago. And then replaced one. Being honest, I wouldn't throw any more money at it. They just kinda suck. Since the one we have left is overkill on a small staysail, I'm sort of OK with it. But I wouldn't keep one for a genoa.
Mine is the seafurl 2
What do you mean by combination of stainless and delrin? In the same ball? Or a mixture of different balls?
Thanks
Old 27-03-2020, 13:01   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

You can re use the tapered cone, if it is in good shape, has no crack's, carefully tap out the wire, and your good to go, remembering it's the taper that is holding the wire in place, i have done this a number of time's, in fact, there was a design that used EPOXY instead of a metal cone, remembering that pored sockets are still used on thing's like elevator wire.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 13:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Searig in NZ makes a near copy of the Norseman. Maybe have reps near you. Those Tylaska cones are just a bit smaller than the original Norseman for some reason.

Also be VERY careful when reassembling. Clean the threads very well and inspect and file down and damages thread areas with a V shaped file. Use a bunch of red locktite on the threads on initial assembly to keep the stainless threads from galling or cold welding. It is very easy to have this all go pear shaped right at the end of the job!
Old 27-03-2020, 16:33   #8

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

I bought some months ago 6 and 8 mm cones to replace my norseman cables .I bought them in a chilean store called Nauticentro .The owner speak in English .seek in internet .Regards
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 16:43   #9

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Hi all

I'm changing my forstay cable. My furler is a Hood furler. Installed in Australia perhaps around 30 years ago.

At the bottom terminal, the cable must be pressed with the system presented in the pictures. With the long thin Cone and the sleve. This specific diameter sleve is necessary to fit inside the furler.

I can reuse the sleve. The problem is I cannot get my hands on a new cone in order to repress the new cable.

Any ideas and tips are very welcome!

Thanks!

I saw a box of various sized cones in the special leftover area at Defender in Waterford, Ct just this past week. Not sure of sizes but a few years back I purchased some for my seafurl 2. I’ve since sold that boat with the spare cones.
Old 27-03-2020, 18:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Mine is the seafurl 2
What do you mean by combination of stainless and delrin? In the same ball? Or a mixture of different balls?
Thanks

Yes ours were every other one is stainless/delrin. As I recall, ours are 4250s? You can buy the bearings online, rather than from Hood. Make sure your races aren't too worn.

And we've found the single BEST tool for ball bearing replacement? KY. Yup. It keeps everything in place, then you just rinse it off!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, hood