Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 14:43   #16

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: New Dynema Line with Polyester cover Slipping on Winch

it's not the winch drum that's slipping it the self tailer that's slipping.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 16:20   #17

Boat: Chatam 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The real problem here is you are using the WRONG LINE. There is no earthly reason why a furling line needs to have a high tech core.

A simple dacron double braid is MORE than strong enough for this purpose.
You should never need to put a furling line on a winch, so it should never experience more load than you can pull by hand, maybe 50 lbs? So why did you think it was needed to by a line with a breaking strength of 8000 lbs????

BillKny, you may be referencing smaller sails and loads than larger or faster boats with bigger sails and there certainly are reasons for using dyneema or similar lines as sheets. Their lighter weight for a given strength, dry or wet makes a big difference on a large headsail in light airs. Some covers are slipperier than others. Next time you buy talk to the rep who should be able to provide appropriate covers. But meanwhile, the solutions presented on this forum will do the job. Good luck.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 06:26   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423

Maybe the line is too small for your winches. The jaws on some winches can be adjusted to grip better on smaller lines. Though that may cause a problem for your genoa sheets.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 14:39   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sounds like it more likely the problem is a stiff core that walks its way out of the self tailing jaws. Had that problem with StaSet X and T900 halyards. Just have to regularly pull on the tail to keep the line in self tailing jaws.

Using a 50 series winch for the furling makes me nervous. That's enough mechanical advantage to bend things the you don't want bent. I hesitate to use 12-16 series winches on my smaller boat's furling line.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 17:24   #20
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Sounds like it more likely the problem is a stiff core that walks its way out of the self tailing jaws. Had that problem with StaSet X and T900 halyards. Just have to regularly pull on the tail to keep the line in self tailing jaws.

Using a 50 series winch for the furling makes me nervous. That's enough mechanical advantage to bend things the you don't want bent. I hesitate to use 12-16 series winches on my smaller boat's furling line.

I think your are right about the stiff core - The Genoa on my boat is pretty large and in a bit of a blow, even with the larger winch you certainly get a very good work out!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch