Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 23:42   #1

Name that Clutch?

One of my rope clutches is broken. I'd like to replace it. In a perfect world I'll be able to replace it with the same manufacturer and I'll be able to reuse the existing mounting bits and holes...

Can anyone tell me who makes/made these they are from the early 90's.

I've attached a picture of the one that is still in good working order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 11.33.03 PM.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	240440  
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 16:16   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Name that Clutch?

Based on the shape of the side plate they kind of look like older spinlock clutches but the handles don’t look right so maybe not

On the other hand shouldn’t your self tailer be 180 the other way? Or am I miss seeing the image?
Old 17-06-2021, 18:08   #3

Re: Name that Clutch?

Good eye mate!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 18:41   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A better photo would really help here. A close up, taken from the side and another from the front would make it easier.

Jim
Old 18-06-2021, 03:15   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

+1 jim

Surely there’s a brand name or logo on there somewhere.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 09:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Based on the shape of the side plate they kind of look like older spinlock clutches but the handles don’t look right so maybe not

On the other hand shouldn’t your self tailer be 180 the other way? Or am I miss seeing the image?
Whoa! The self tailing comment, they refuse to self tail should I spin the “guide thing” 180? I’m still trying to learn how to make all this work properly, but at least I’m enjoying the process.

As for a label, If there was one it’s long since gone, I’m guessing it was screen printed and rubbed off.
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:23   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The line should come in on the right, go around 3 or 4 times then up on the self tailer.
About 90 degrees to the line coming into the winch rather than off the winch.
Old 18-06-2021, 23:19   #8

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post
Whoa! The self tailing comment, they refuse to self tail should I spin the “guide thing” 180? I’m still trying to learn how to make all this work properly, but at least I’m enjoying the process.

As for a label, If there was one it’s long since gone, I’m guessing it was screen printed and rubbed off.
1. on the feeder arm of your sheet winch

I think your photos provokes two thoughts:

a. the feeder arm (which is what you are calling the 'guide thing') is currently placed such that tail of your sheet will be pushed out of the self-tailing jaws to outboard of winch. That's crazy.

So I would not say 180 degrees, but perhaps 90 degrees.

b. the strange location of the feeder arm suggests to me that you need to check the installation and service (i.e. clean and lubricate) your winches.

That means you ought identify the brand/model of your winches, and download (if you don't have a hard copy) the relevant installation guide and service manual.

I write that because most multispeed winches have an orientation preference. For longevity, multispeed winches perform best when the load from the sheet comes to the winch drum at the output gear.

I append a clip from the installation manual of my Lewmar winches that might make the mud of what I've just typed a little clearer. The clipped image shows a starboard primary sheet winch as if you're standing inboard of the winch.

2. On your rope clutches

I agree with earlier posters who have said the body of the clutch assembly looks similar to a Spinlock, but the handles do not.

I encourage you to look more carefully. I would expect something (at least one of: brand name, model number, product number) to be moulded into the polymer of the body of the clutch assembly.
Old 18-06-2021, 23:52   #9

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
a. the feeder arm (which is what you are calling the 'guide thing') is currently placed such that tail of your sheet will be pushed out of the self-tailing jaws to outboard of winch. That's crazy.
Apologies for infelicities. A better form of works is probably:

a. the feeder arm (which is what you are calling the 'guide thing') is currently placed inconveniently. And if, as usual, the stripper ring is oriented in parallel with the feeder arm, then the tail of your sheet will be pushed out of the self-tailing jaws to outboard of the winch. That's crazy.

Tags
clutch