Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 13:37   #1

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200
moving the boom bale

TL;DR - I want to move my boom bale about 10" further out, which would make my main sheet no longer parallel to the traveler when sheeted in hard.

My potential worry is that this pushes the boom squarely into the mast when it's all sheeted in. This maybe puts a lot of stress on the goose neck? This maybe creates weird stress on the mast? Is this a bad idea? Maybe this is totally fine? Too many maybes. I also have a rigid vang, for what it's worth.

photos below for illustration and showing just how squishy it is (in my opinion) with the traveler and boom sheets.

The long info:

Hey all, I'm busy refitting and there has been a common thread: the original owner who commissioned the boat was much shorter than myself. Or, was exactly my height and enjoyed a constant feeling of being snug to the ceiling?

Anyway, one of these issues is the dodger. It was a bit short and while it's not a problem to cut and weld on a little more to make it taller, it exposed another thing - literally. The back of the dodger leaves the helm entirely exposed from the top and since this is a center cockpit with end of boom sheeting, entirely exposed from behind since you have your traveler in you back - again, literally. I could kinda see this as a performance thing (helmsman always has a view of the sails and windex if needed), but Nova is a ~16T steel center cockpit cruiser...

So one way that I can see alleviating this by moving the bale and boom blocks further out and welding on a 6-8" rail on the dodger that give me shade and lets me also hang a wind screen if we're going downwind in some weather. I have no issues with welding up whatever I need, my concern here is purely about the forces exerted on the boom/goosneck/mast by me moving the bale. Wanted to get some opinions before I do something crazy like model it in CAD and do a whole finite element analysis...

photos for reference.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9840.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	251995   Click image for larger version

Name:	boom-mock-up.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	251996  

TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 15:30   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: moving the boom bale

It would be easy to set your mainsheet up in the position you want using a strop of webbing to see how it works. Many people are doing away with boom bails and opting for strops instead.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 15:50   #3

Boat: Cape Dory MKII 1987 Hull #3

looking at the specs
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cm-1200
had the same issue with my old Tartan 34C
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tartan-34-c

you have the traveler on your back, my Tartan had it right in my face.
I solved the problem installing a new traveler track system mounted on deck with thru bolts right in front of the dodger.
that allowed to spread the load on the boom with three bails.
The previous comment, using bands of webbing, strop is an excellent idea to avoid weakening the boom.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 16:48   #4

I appreciate the feedback but the boom integrity isn’t my worry or the topic of my concern - it’s the gooseneck and possibly the mast due to the angle of the sheet pushing it forward instead of neutral or even pulling aft.
Old 26-01-2022, 16:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Hah! Yeah thatís not my boat. Iím in a hard chined steel center cockpit centerboarder weighing in at 16TÖ but even if you look at that spec youíll see that the main sheet angles AWAY from the boom heading aft. My entire question is about moving the bale aft so that the main sheets are now pulling to the bow.
Old 26-01-2022, 17:08   #6

I doubt the push against the mast will be a concern, most of the power is down
and may need an engineer to clear specifically the forces at work, the beauty of the strop is you do not have to make any structural change, just get a 2 or 3 inches nylon webbing and work a couple of grommets to hook the blocks, if it works then can move to a more permanent solution.
I rigged my boom preventer with a nylon strap, with two rings and replaces a bail.

=========================
PS
I still think a relocation of the traveler in front of the dodger will give you a more functional solution, or may be not
Old 26-01-2022, 17:16   #7

another consideration to keep in mind is the boom is narrower at the end, not sure about strength on the pulling down forces?
just a thought \
Old 26-01-2022, 17:29   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I moved the bale on my cat out about a ft due to it chafing the canvas on the rear of the dodger when off the wind. I thought it might affect the traveller track or the gooseneck movement but it aii seems fine with no sign of wear ( been about a year).
The m/sail is relatively small which probably helps, but no vang, there's a bit of pressure there & I've kept an eye on the traveller & g/neck fittings & all good so far..
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 17:57   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

At those relatively low angles the increase in forward pressure on the mast will be relatively small I donít think it will be a problem.
But you are moving the stress to part of the bone that has been cut away, I donít know if that will be a problem.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 18:26   #10

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

I'm a lot smaller boat, 28', but the situation is exactly what you are questioning. At least 15 years ago, a prior owner moved the boom bale back a good foot from its original position to the very end of the boom to accommodate a dodger. No issues yet. This is 79 O'Day 28' sloop. Also I added another bale to hold a traditional boom vang further forward. My opinion is if the boom was designed to handle bales in the first place you don't need to worry about needing a strapping type of solution.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 18:31   #11

I would not use a knock in grommet in the nylon webbing not strong enough in a jibe. Perhaps a sewn in grommet such was found in the tack or clue of a sail may work. However using “D” rings securely sewn by overlapping the webbing is a stronger solution. Be sure to choose a webbing that is rated for the anticipated loads of a jibe.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 19:54   #12

Absolutely no issues with what youíve proposed. The lateral forces from a small 1 foot adjustment of the sheet will be minimal compared with the same lateral forces imparted by your boom vang.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 20:04   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

can't see it affecting the gooseneck or mast much. but I would check to make sure the new mainsheet angle doesn't strain the traveler hardware

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 20:39   #14
CF Straight Shooter

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ketch

As others have mentioned I can't see it been a problem, the below has been like this for 35 years (still counting) with no issues.

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of the low price has faded from memory
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 20:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
As others have mentioned I can't see it been a problem, the below has been like this for 35 years (still counting) with no issues.

35 years works for me! Thanks.